SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flowergardenmuse

The Narcissistic Mother

flowergardenmuse
10 years ago

Here's a very interesting article that given some of the recurring comments here:

The Narcissistic Mother
Posted on March 20, 2012 by Joseph Burgo

Before I decided to stop writing my ‘Movies and Mental Health’ blog, I had intended to do a video about the narcissistic mother as portrayed in two different films, Black Swan and The Fighter; in this post, I’ll be referring to those films but I won’t include video clips. If you haven’t seen them, I recommend both movies for their psychological insight into family dynamics and, in particular, the role of the narcissistic mother.

There’s a degree of narcissism inherent in the relationship between most parents and their children: we take pride in their achievements and feel they somehow reflect well upon us when they do succeed. I’m very proud of my kids and take pleasure in recounting their latest achievements to my friends, and those friends in return (the ones who have kids of their own) appear to feel the same way about their offspring. “My son the doctor” … you know what I mean. On some level, I suppose we view our children as a type of achievement of our own: we’ve spent so many years raising and caring for them that we feel pride in ourselves, as well as in them, when they turn out well.

Under normal conditions, even if we do take a kind of narcissistic pleasure in their achievements, we nonetheless see our children as having identities of their own. When parents have poor boundaries, however, or struggle with separation issues, they may instead regard their children as an extension of themselves, not truly separate. Alice, the matriarch in The Fighter is just such a narcissistic mother. She and her oldest son Dicky have a merged relationship and she exploits his past success as a boxer for her own narcissistic needs. As her second son Micky becomes more successful, she tries to exploit him in the very same way.

Alice reminds me of my own mother, and stirred up one particular memory. During fifth grade, I was given a battery of intelligence tests for admission into the gifted education program. The school psychologist called my mother in for a consultation to discuss the results; when Mom came home afterward, she said to me, “The psychologist told me not to talk to you about what we discussed but I’m going to tell you anyway. She said you’re highly intelligent and you could do anything you want with your life, even become a nuclear physicist.” Even then, at age 11, I felt the expectation being placed upon my shoulders. This incident is but one example of an ongoing way she related to me, as if I were supposed to fulfill some ideal that would reflect well upon her. (We’re in Alice Miller territory, and The Drama of the Gifted Child.) During my senior year in high school, she broke down sobbing when she discovered I’d been smoking pot. “I failed with your brother and sister; if you turn out bad, my whole life will have no meaning.” It’s all about me.

If you’ve read my post about the mostly bad mother, you may remember that Mom had very little ability to empathize with me (or anyone else, for that matter), a problem shared by most narcissistic mothers. Matriarch Alice in The Fighter also demonstrates a complete lack of empathy for son Micky’s needs and suffering. Some my clients were burdened with mothers even more lacking in empathy, so completely self-absorbed that they neglected their children entirely. One type of narcissistic mother uses her children as a narcissistic feed; another type abandons them in her solipsistic pursuit of admiration, attention from men, etc.

For the rest of the article check out the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: The Narcissistic Mother

Comments (2)

Sponsored