SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nita1950

What is the suggested age to leave at home alone?

nita1950
20 years ago

My son is almost 11 years old. He wants to stay at home alone for short periods of time..I am talking about less than an hour. He is a very responsible child and I feel that he can be trusted. I take him everywhere with me...even for a 15 minute trip to run a quick errand. He would be able to reach me by cell phone and I could always check back with him to be sure that all if okay. Once last year I had to return to his school...about 3 minutes away to retrieve a book that he had left. He was doing other homework and begged me to leave him and that he would be okay. I called him the minute that I got in the car and talked to him until I pulled back in the driveway... about 7-8 minutes. So much for continuing on homework! He was still thrilled to be home alone for that short time.

I am an over protective mom and I am not ready to leave him alone yet. Please share what you have done and your experiences at the various ages of 10, 11 and 12. In our area they are allowed to babysit at age 13, I guess that I will be ready by then.

Please give me some advice.

Nita

Comments (18)

Sponsored