SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twothen5

It's not an eating disorder!! What is it???

twothen5
17 years ago

I know there is another posting concerning weight loss but it's dated 2003, and not quite the same. I will try to keep it short:) My son is now 13 and has went from around 163lbs (a little overweight at that time) to around 106lbs. The first 40 or so lbs was lost in about a 2-3 month period. I feel so very bad to say it but it really happened SO quickly that it was hard to notice how much it was at first.I took him to doctor, had blood work done, was told that T3 was high, did follow up T4 and was told only slightly high don't worry not a thyroid problem. At that time he was around 117lbs,now 5 months later he is at 106lbs. But he is eating SO MUCH, I mean more than any person should or could eat, and is still hungry! Wakes up in middle of the night to eat. His skin color is off, headaches to the point of tears, dizziness, heartbeat racing, sleeping problems at times, open sores (rash)on his legs, complains that his "bones" ache, muscle aches, he plays basketball and I would watch him in practice turn white as a ghost. I have been to so many dr. visits that I have lost count. His family Dr. sent us to a Childrens hospital that has a wonderful reputation.

Here is the problem, I have later found out that his family Dr. put on his records that it may be a eating disorder. Riley Childrens Hospital sent us for a MRI of his head that came back normal. After that they sent us to a eating disorder clinic, I didn't know it until I called to set the appointment. To make a VERY long story some what short, I have been back and forth and keep getting the same thing, they weigh him backwards so he can't see, ask the same questions that lean towards a child with an eating disorder. I have told them over and over that he DOES NOT have an eating disorder, if he did I would at least have an answer. I have watched my son go from looking very healthy to a very very frail and sickly looking child, I can see his ribs, I can't believe I can see his ribs! I have looked for and asked his counselor if I am missing an eating disorder, NO I'm not he DOES NOT have an eating disorder. At this point they will not run any more tests, they say no need to put him through tests that he doesnt need. Told me to wait a month and see where his weight is at. He gained 2lbs over the last month so they say he is eating NOW and that if he keeps eating that he will be fine.

I was able to insist on a appt with an endo Dr. due to the high t3 count, it's in 3 weeks, but really not sure where to go from here. I do want to switch Dr. but waiting for appt with endo. So that way I know what to tell new dr. I don't want them to see eating disorder and think I'm in denial.

I just can't get over how much he eats, he got up Friday and had 1 hotdog, two grilled ham cheese sandwiches, (by 9am) on way out door made left over cubed steak, took it with us. Went to dr. as soon as we left wanted something to eat, stopped at McD's (they messed up) had his quarter pounder meal and extra one. Ran few errands took him home had "lunch" another grilled Ham cheese apple chips. Followed up with afternoon "snack" hotdog another apple, Dinner that night was pizza, I lost count how many pieces he had. He also had snacks before bed. He almost always wakes up and eats in the middle of the night. He eats to the point that he says Mom I am so full can't eat another bite, then hour later he is "starving" again.

I have spent countless hours looking things up trying to find out what it could be. I did find info on celiac disease, asked the Dr. she just said nope thatÂs not what it is thereÂs no way. I can't believe how upset a dr will if you question anything. What am I supposed to do, this is my child I am very worried. I just look at him and he just doesn't look healthy, the Dr. said it must just be anxiety. Ok maybe if you lost your appetite I would buy it, but thatÂs not the case.

I am very sorry that this is so long. I would greatly appreciate any info or suggestions.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County