SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momma_bird_oh

AWFUL nieghborhood kids

Momma_Bird_OH
20 years ago

For years I've complained that there are no kids in our neighborhood with which DSs can play, and this school year 3 boys near their age have moved in - 2 families, one with 1 boy and 1 with 2. The only problem is THESE KIDS ARE JUST AWFUL and their parents are not much better. All 3 are almost totally unsupervised, run the neighborhood at will - they are in K, 1st and 2nd grade!

The 1st grade boy was almost hit riding his bike across the street without looking to come to our house, to the point where the driver rang our doorbell shaking because she came so close to hitting him and she thought he was my kid.. I went straight to the boy's mom and told her the boy can't come over any more becaue I don't want his blood on my hands if he's hit by a car, and she yelled AT ME!

All 3 have TERRIBLE grammar (DH and I are both kind of sticklers for proper grammer, manners, etc) and use ain't all the time. All 3 are also doing poorly in school, the kid mentioned above is being held back in 1st so he'll be in my kindergarten DS' class next year.

I am at a total loss. After telling the mom her son can't come over, and being yelled at, the kid came over today while DH and I were out, and my friend who was babysitting let him in - I hadn't told her not to so she didn't know. I guess I'll have to trot across the street again tomorrow and ask her again to keep him at home.

The other 2 kids are not as much of a problem at home, they are just HORRIBLE to my 2 sons at school, calling them names, picking on them, etc daily - see my post about DS hitting a kid at school, it was one of these brothers. DH has taled to their dad about it but it didn't do any good. They live with their dad & haven't seen their mom in 3 years, so DH thought it would be better to talk to him man-to-man.

All 3 of these kids come from broken homes & I do feel really bad for them, but DH and I are trying to give our kids a good home life & education. I'm torn between my Christian duty and wanting my kids to be left alone! DH is WAY over the Christian duty part and just wants these kids kept in their own yards. I think they come to our house because they feel safe here, there is always an adult to supervise, they are fed/given drinks, we have a swingset, etc.

Any suggestions? Have any of you had similar situations? Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994