SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
burnedout_gw

18 year old daughter loses her mind

Burnedout
11 years ago

OH BOY....This is a crazy one.

I and my wife have an 18 year old daughter. Up to age 18 and graduating from high school, she had been a model kid. People would not believe us when we tell them about her. She was a really good kid and she graduated third in her class with honors. She got a full ride to a local university where she started out in a pre-med program, but chemistry ended that. However, gradually it is as if she has morphed into a 13 year old.

She had been living at home and going to school. However, she made friends with this disfunctional family and moved out and moved in with them. Her grades have slipped and is now failing a couple of classes.

We still pay for her Cell phone, car insurance and she is on our health insurance. She claims we are too critical, yet, we would mainly ask her to let us know when she would be home simply so we could have a place for dinner for her. We ask her how school is going. She thinks we are too critical. We also asked her to do a very few chores; specifically take out the trash and bathe the dog once a week. THAT IS ALL.

This family she moved in with has 9 people living under one roof. There are dirty dishes all over the place, they have a baby there that is only 4 months old, a 13 year old that does not go to school if she chooses. There are problems with head lice there, and scabes.

Add to all that, she has had one problem after another, first, she hydroplanes in her car and ends up in a ditch, lucky to be alive. She loses not one but TWO cell phones, she left her lights on in her car and ran the battery down TWICE and needed a jump, and THIS IS JUST IN TWO WEEKS! Every time she calls me or her mother. We are on our wits end. Hell...one of the cell phones she got wet and she JUST GOT IT YESTERDAY and it was $150 cell phone.

She works part-time at McDonalds, pays about $175 in rent and does not even have a room to her own. The house stinks. She honestly used to be far more responsible at age 16 than she is now at 18.

What I am considering if I should tell her that she has two weeks to decide if she will come home and if she decides not to, we will pull her off our car insurance, cell phone, and health insurance. I am also looking at maybe having her talk to a military recruiter.

I am half tempted to call child protective services on that family because of the bad conditions on those kids at that place and have them go in see if it is safe. I suspect with the head lice and scabes they won't. The people living in that house is a mother in her mid 40's, her daughter who is 19 and not married with a newborn and that girl's boyfriend who is 22, an adult woman, a 13 year old girl, the mother's boyfriend, and there are people coming and going from the place.

My wife and I are just at an end. We just want our old daughter back. HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

Comments (7)

Sponsored