Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kid's Dentist

Posted by carla35 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 20:07

I found this odd.. I have a new Dentist for my kids (a pediatric one) and when I went to schedule a cleaning appointment they don't want to take my kids together (or one after each other). They want the 5 year old to come in the am and the 9 yr old to come in the afternoon. I'm like, what? It's not a waiting list issue. They can fit in 2 kids, they just don't take both ages at once. Now my 6 year old is a very good patient -- if you know what I mean... doesn't cry with shots, etc. and he has been to the dentist numerous times with no problem. I don't work, but if I did, I would really resent having to take off two different times to take my kids for their cleanings separately. Our old dentist's first concern was getting them in together.

Do your kids dentists do this or can you bring the kids in for cleaning all at once? I'm kind of put off by this and am thinking of trying someone else. What do you think? Am I missing something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kid's Dentist

That sounds annoying. I have 4 kids, and I've had docs/dentists not take more than 2 appointment on the same day from the same family, so I've had to do 2 and 2 later. But that was a scheduling thing, not an age thing. So, no, I haven't heard that one. And I would like more of an explanation if my docs' office had that policy. Surely that annoys other patients, it must affect many.

o

Sounds very inconvenient! I don't think I would go there!

o

Sounds odd to me. We do "back to back" or together appts. The whole family. It's a priority for me, and for our dentist. I see no reason why it would be better to have a family come in twice. If you're not attached to this dentist, let him/her know what's going on, and switch if they're not willing to accommodate.

o

That's ridiculous! Did you ask them why they want to do it that way? I never took my kids to a pediatric dentist, just a regular one, and we've been going to the same dentist for years, since my kids were little. They always let us schedule back to back appointments, including both kids and me so that all three of us went together and got it all done one after the other.

Personally, I'd find a different dentist.

o

My time was too valuable - I ALWAYS did my kids back to back.

o

My kids go at the same time or back to back.

o

The dentist seems like he has a good understanding of child behavior and school schedules. This dentist sounds very wise.

o

momj47, I would guess you're being sarcastic since most preschools and Kindergartens have their academic programs in the morning hours. Now that I think of it, our school's written policy is not to schedule routine Dr. visits during school hours, so I would have to schedule my 5 (soon to be 6 yr old) in the afternoon anyway. Guess we'll have to find another dentist for that reason on top of for my own convinence. Maybe I could have the school call him and explain ;-) A dentist's office who is going to make a mother come in and for all he knows take off work twice, is probably not the kind of office that I'd want to deal with.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

o

No, I'm not being sarcastic. Why would you think that?

Younger children are less tired and therefore, more likely to stand the "stress" of a dentist appointment in the morning, and some still take afternoon naps, so it would make sense to bring the younger ones in to the office in the morning. It's easier on the child, and easier on the dentist. The older kids would be scheduled in the afternoon so they don't miss school.

o

I think what 'makes sense' is individual for each family at different times in kids' developement (for a short time when my kid was a preschooler he would take 2:00 - 3:00 PM naps, ready and refreshed right after - perfect for an afternoon appt.). If a young child consistently showed that he/she could not handle an afternoon appointment, that would be grounds for discussion. I wouldn't want my providers to make general, unilateral decisions that may not meet my profile.

My pediatric dentist does try to steer younger children to the AM to leave slots in the afternoon for the school age kids. Now that mine are older I appreciate that policy, but I would walk if that were a rule instead of a guideline.

Dentist sounds controlling or doesn't want you. Go find another one.

o

momj47, I thought you were being sarcastic for the very reasons I mentioned... because 5 and 6 years old are in school in the am -- so you think it's good to have to pull a kid out of school for a routine dental cleaning? Or what exactly did your school schedule comment mean? And most 5 and 6 years olds I know don't still nap. He's not 2 or 3 -- but even if he were younger, I would think the mom would know the best time to make an appointment based on her own child's nap/sleep schedule, not the dentist. One of my friends kids doesn't even wake up until 10:30am --he would be a terror in the am. Not all kids are morning people.

Sorry, but he doesn't sound wise to me, just sort of controlling and kind of ignorant because he just lost two patients.

o

Dentists give appointments to the patients according to their routine schedule.I agree with your comment but dentists have their own policy to take care of the patient.Taking two kids having tooth problem to the dentist at same time, the kid gets scared when the other one suffers from pain and, even doctor looses his attention, so its easier for child, and easier for dentist to consult the patient.so i advice to take kids one after another for cleaning.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.edentics.co.uk

o

This is for a routine cleaning appointment, not for tooth problems that are going to cause suffering from pain. In addition, what difference does it make if the sibling is suffering from pain or some other kid? The whole thing doesn't make any sense to me.

As jessyf and others pointed out, every kid and every family is different. Making a strict policy of seeing certain ages at certain times is not only self defeating, but it creates an inconvenience for the parent, whether s/he works outside the home or not, and whether the kids are in school or not.

When my son had braces, his orthodontist scheduled certain kinds of appointments for certain days/times. New patients' first appt had a certain time slot for example. That made sense, because it helped him run his office efficiently. But separating appointment times by age is arbitrary. What's the cutoff point... 5? 6? and how is that decided?

I think carla is right to just find another dentist, one who maybe values his patients' time and judgement in making appointments. As you pointed out, if they're that adamant about this issue, who knows what other kinds of problems/issues will crop up in the future.

Aren't the days when we were supposed to blindly trust our physicians without having any input or questions just because they supposedly knew better than us, over? We're not just patients, we're customers too.

o

exactly lowspark. I take my dd age 7 to the dentist with me... we have appts at the same time with different hygienists. They try to work with my schedule. If they took adults at 5pm and kids in the mornings I would find a new dentist. My time is valuable too.

o

San Antonio Cosmetic Dentistry

Cosmetic dentistry simply takes general dentistry and adds a dash of aesthetics, a multitude of tools and an artistic, skilled dentist, resulting in not only a fully functioning, healthy set of teeth, but also a beautiful smile.

Our San Antonio cosmetic dentists can suggest a variety of options, meant to solve any issues you may experience with your smile. For example, we suggest Invisalign to patients with crooked teeth or overbites. Invisalign aligners replace braces, pushing your teeth into a smooth, straight set. Invisalign aligners are clear molds, which many people seeking cosmetic dentistry find preferable to braces due to their natural aesthetic appeal. Also, they are detachable, requiring removal for meals, daily dental hygiene and your regular dentistry checkups.

For stained teeth, cosmetic dentistry provides a number of flexible answers � take-home kits, trays made at our San Antonio office or in-office bleachings. Most of the self-use options work fairly well, but if you have sensitive teeth or are in need of a swift brightening, you may want to visit your San Antonio dentistry practice for an in-office treatment. Our qualified cosmetic dentistry professionals can create bleaching trays, specifically molded to your dental set, to whiten your teeth repeatedly year after year. The in-office teeth whitening procedure allows our skilled team to directly apply the bleach to your teeth while taking preventative measures to keep your sensitive teeth safe. The result is a bright smile in just one visit to our San Antonio dentistry practice.

Dental contouring (or tooth reshaping) allows your cosmetic dentist to beautify your chipped and crooked teeth in just one sitting. Our experienced dentists, Dr. Quillian and Dr. Sproull, reduce the appropriate sections of your teeth by a few millimeters to give you the smile you�ve always hoped to exhibit.

Additional cosmetic dentistry options include veneers, dental implants and tooth-colored fillings. Schedule your free consultation at our San Antonio office today.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cosmetic dentist

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here