Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this?

Posted by coolmama (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 07 at 17:56

My husband and I have been watching tv together,and 3 times this past month a thing comes across the screen~much like the Emergency Broadcast System.
It says CHILD ABDUCTION EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM.A child abduction emergency alert has been posted for: The entire state.For the hours between 9am-5pm.(although each time the times have been different)
Each time we saw this,my husband refused to let our daughter take the bus and drove her to school.We also didnt let her play outside during those times.
However,the news and what not never says anything about it or why it is being issued,or even what it means for that matter.
How can they say between certain hours when a child might be abducted? How do they issue one of these warnings and why?
If anyone knows,I'd be very intrested to know about it.Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this?

I'm wondering if it isn't like an Amber Alert of some sort where maybe a child has been reported missing but you would think they would say on the news or radio.
Hmmmm...not sure!

o

Maybe it is a test/drill they run to make sure everything is in place in case there was an abduction...

What state are you in? You could look up specific information about child alert for your state to see what it says. You could also call your local news station and ask them. Even if they are not reporting it, they should know something about it. It does sound odd.

o

It's part of the nation wide Emergency Alert system. If there is no information about a car or anyother circumstances it's just a test of the system.
It is not in any way warning you of any increased danger to your child, just proving that the system works, and if a child had been abducted, there would have been a description of that child and the suspect and or the vehicle eh/she was driving.
No reason at all to keep your daughter at home...on the contrary...it's reason to feel she has been more protected.
Linda C

o

Thanks for all the info. Yeah I googled it,maybe i should have done that first. It is like the Amber alert thing.
Thank you Linda C for the additional info,I guess they must have been tests then because nothing was stated about a child identity or car.
Thanks ya helpful ladies!

o

Glad you got your answer. Sadly, it seems we have so many real Amber Alerts in my area that there doesn't appear to be any time for just tests.

o

Why not call your local station and ask them about it? You could then ask all about the program and the messages they will show and the level of alert for the message.
Perhaps this would give you some peace of mind.
Lynn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here