SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freezetag

Grades (failing) and sports

freezetag
15 years ago

I read the "Punish or not" thread, but didnt see this issue specifically addressed. My question is this:

My ds (11) is in 6th grade, in high-level classes. His grades were good in elementary school, but this year, in middle school, have fluctuated wildly all year, because he is unorganized and doesnÂt turn in projects and assignments (loses completed work, and forgets when things are due).

Recently, he was failing two classes, so I "suspended" him from all extracurricular activity until he completed all missing projects, to my satisfaction. His teachers do not accept anything late, so his grades were still poor, but at least he was completely caught up. Then I let him return to track and baseball.

Today, I found out that he has missed more assignments. I am going to start the "DaisyInga" method for enforcing project/assignment completion, but what about sports? His schoolwork is not that time-consuming, so itÂs not a matter of sports affecting his grades. It would be (depending on how you look at it) either a punishment for failing in school, or a motivation to do better in school.

He loves organized sports, but is pretty sedentary in his free time otherwise. And heÂs a little overweight. So I hate to remove an opportunity for him to exercise  I think he needs it. But at the same time, he would be absolutely crushed to quit baseball, and maybe that is what is needed.

To complicate matters, I hate to depend on him for information about his schoolwork. Some of his teachers post assignments online, some on the schoolÂs homework hotline, others, not at all. Some of the teachers email grade updates every few weeks, and thatÂs usually when I notice that he has missed turning in work. But I canÂt get a clear picture of his daily workload with the resources I have available to me, so I guess IÂll have to have conferences with his teachers to figure out how to stay current. Not looking forward to that, because his school counselor basically told me that it is up to ds to make up his mind to stay on track, and IÂm picking up the same vibe from his teachers : (

Any thoughts?

Comments (9)

Sponsored