SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
motwo

sleepwalking + night terrors

motwo
15 years ago

what is a parent to do when a child is having sleep walking and night terror issues. My daughter has had night terror issues since she was about 2. Then we could put up a gate and at least know she couldn't hurt herself in her room as she had the episode. It was better when we watched from the doorway she if we came near her she was thrash about and scream louder and hit and bite and do whatever she could to hurt us. Wheras when we watched from the doorway she would just cry. The episodes seemed to get further and further apart untill she was 4 and a half and then she scared the crap out of us (husband and i)good one cold winter morning at 3 am. She came down to have me do up her coat. she was in her pj's no boots just a coat on and very cleary not awake wanting to go outside, she was also chewing gum, which she had gotten into. that was in Feb of this year and there has been nothing since then till 3 nights ago. At her grandparents she was caught by her aunt going through her aunts room looking for socks to add to the pile she had started in thier spare room where she was staying for the night.And the the night after she was up twice at 12 am and at 2 am with night terrors. And then last night she got up and just ran through the house for no reason upstairs and downstairs and this was at 10:30 pm, and I was able to coach her into my bed with mewhere as soon as she hit the pillow she was out again. I have read online to be waking the child before the episodes so as to prevent them from happening. but hers are so random and at different times. and she goes months in between having night terror and the sleepwalking up intill now. it isn't like i can write down what day and what time and hopes she follows the patern like the online sites tell me to do.But hers are just so random at different times after she goes to sleep and again she sometimes goes months without having any issues. I am worried that if i take her to her dr there won't be anything he can do other then put her on a medication, which i would rather not do, because she is only 5. has anyone else had thier kids sleep walk or have night terros and what did you do and was there anything that helped with your kids?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area