SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucy34527

How to get 7 year old to be more responsible

Lucy34527
10 years ago

My 7 year old step daughter is a smart well rounded child but I can't get her to be responsible. When she gets back her tv she, instead of getting herself ready just sits in her room and watches it so we have had to take it away since. Any time there is any form of tv on she can't concentrated and talk to anyone she just spaces out and watches tv. People have said oh she is just add get her on medicine. I do not want to do that since I am on adderall and it has made me loose alot of weight. I just want to teach her the tools to be responsible and pay attention on her own. I have giver her structure and daily routines, etc. and it works for a week then she goes back to the way things were before. She doesn't have a tv or anything to distract her in her room. She is always willing to help with chores etc. but to get her to do things on her own, she acts like she can't. I have repeatedly showed her better ways to do things and how to go about the best way to handle things but she acts like she doesn't know. I feel like she does that to manipulate her way to helping people do things for her, but I won't. I know she is perfectly capable of doing them herself. Lately she has been "forgetting" her homework at school and I make her go to her room with no tv and read until its time for bed. I just don't know what else to do to get her to realize she needs to start showing a little responsibility because she gets praised and rewarded when she does and me and her father are consistent with her and trying to get her to learn to do things on her own. Much help would be appreciated.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio