SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maria214

Adult son not speaing to me

maria214
16 years ago

Ginny, I apologize if this posts twice. I seem to have lost my first message. I'll make this answer briefer, just in case. I have been with my current husband for about 16 years, and he's been very supportive. He and my son have had a good relationship, and I am grateful for that.

My ex-husband did re-marry, and my son estranged himself from them when he was 16. Long story, but in short, both my ex and his wife are very angry people, prone to enjoying conflicts, having arguments with people in parking lots, stores, etc., and though I tried to urge my son not to cut off all contact with them, he firmly decided he didn't want to talk to his dad again. That seemed a bit extreme to me, and for a while I tried to coax him to at least call his dad, or send a card, but he wasn't having any part of it. So I guess my fear is that there will be a repeat of that with me. And every day that goes by I get more frightened that this will happen. So my fear is obviously contributing to this ongoing problem. My husband said that your advice was very good. We had discussed him calling my son in a non-angry manner, but we've gotten stuck as to what exactly he should say that would help move things forward, rather than just be a 'band-aid.'

Thank you again for taking the time to talk with me about this. I really appreciate it.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio