SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freezetag

Worried about dd's safety at her friend's house

freezetag
15 years ago

My dd (6) has a close friend from school, and played at her house yesterday. Dd told me that she walked around her friend's neighborhood, and that a truck honked at her as she was crossing the street. So immediately I was shocked that dd could be running around with no one watching her, but knowing dd's friend's parents, I would be surprised if this were really the case.

I've noticed that when I am inside, and my kids are out, it seems like they are often not aware that I am watching them. And also, sometimes I will tap my horn and wave at a neighbor if they are outside. So I guess it could all be nothing, but obviously I will have to find out more before feeling comfortable about dd playing over there again. I will probably just repeat what dd told me, then mumble something about being an overprotective parent. I don't think I would be offended if it were me, would probably be glad the my kids friends have concerned parents - hoping this is true for most people. I am not really friends with dd's friend's parents, but like their daughter very much and genuinely want dd and her to remain friends.

I always tell my kids that no matter where they are, our rules still apply (helmet while riding bike, no tackle football, no jumping on furniture, etc), even if their friends' rules are less strict, but that is easier to say than do!

Just wondering if anyone had a similar situation, and how you handled it? Seems like it's been discussed here before, and I used to think that it was better to just have kids over to our house, if I wasn't comfortable with their parents, but now think it isn't a good long-term strategy because inevitably (with my other kids) it has become noticable / awkward that I don't let my child play over there. Just discouraged because I have been happy with this friendship...hopefully it will turn out OK.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH