SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plaidthumb

kids leaving home

plaidthumb
16 years ago

Our two girls are 18 & 14, and normally get along about like oil and water.

The older one is looking at colleges, thinking about taking a year off to work, thinking about traveling with a couple friends, stopping to work when they're broke, yadda yadda yadda. Both of our girls have known from the beginning that they are pretty much responsible for their own schooling (Health issues/medication have kept us trying to keep our heads above water for years--insurance only does so much, and less all the time), so we understand her indecision in what to do--we'll support her in any way we can regardless of what she does. She's applied for numerous scholarships based on need and scholarship, and has the talent to be awarded scholarships based on her portfolio.

We've done our best to rear them to think things through and make their own decisions--and to realize there are consequences from those decisions. She has a good head on her shoulders, can/will talk to anyone, and is not afraid of hard work. Heaven help the authority figure who she thinks is stupid, however; she's not afraid to speak her mind.

I am looking forward to her getting out on her own. I think the younger one will blossom and come into her own without the constant conflict with her big sister. Plus, we could her old room to relieve some of the over-crowding in the living room. I know (well, at least we hope) we'll sleep better if we're not waiting for her to come home at night.

My wife does not understand my attitude towards the upcoming change. She hopes she'll pick a college close to home so she can stay here a few more years.

For those of you who have been through this, is the difference in thoughts unusual for a couple? I just don't understand my wife's desire to have her stay at home, and my wife doesn't understand why I am "so anxious to get rid of her". Any thoughts on this?

We'll both deal with whatever works out and life will go on. I just didn't realize how much I am looking forward to being "empty-nesters" until now (I know, it's still at least 4 years off with the younger one). Wouldn't anyone want to see their kids go off on their own and try to make something of themselves? That's one of the main reasons for having kids (and the free labor, of course...)

Comments (17)

Sponsored