Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any suggestions for weening?

Posted by AdellaBedella (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 03 at 23:43

I found out last week that I am pregnant with Baby #3. My youngest child is 11 months and still breastfeeding. Is there a good way to stop? The desire is mine not his. I tried giving him a sippy several times and he won't take it. I told DH that I'm leaving him home alone with DS this weekend for a few hours. I'm not sure how much that will help. This isn't my first child, but my other child was easier to deal with since he was in daycare and he had to take a bottle or sippy. Also, I was able to gradually cut out his feedings just by not showing up. Now that I'm a SAHM, my second DS has almost constant access. It's driving me crazy. Also, it's really hard to get enough vitam,ins when pregnant. I don't want the added burden on my body. Anyway, if anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any suggestions for weening?

Some babies just do not like the taste of the breastmilk with the change in mom's system. Others find Mom is now making less milk, and they just lose interest during the pregnancy. Good luck.

o

Adella,
Congrats!!

Susie

o

Have you tried to give him a cup at meal times and then only nurse before bed and nap? It gives him the comfort of Mom at bedtime and nap, but not just when he wants a drink.
Then after you have that established you can ease him away from nursing before naps then lastly bedtime.
This worked for me with my last baby guy.
Congratulations on your new babe!
Kris

o

You can also pump your breast milk and put in a sippy cup, so he can still have breast milk but in a cup. Then, do the cuddle feed at nap/bed time? Also, invite a friend of his over that takes the sippy and let that child show him what he can do "all by himself"...sometimes they want to top him and solve a problem at the same time. Best wishes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here