SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weed30

Speaking of eating/dinner issues...

weed30 St. Louis
15 years ago

My poor mother! I was the youngest of 5. Three of us had "issues" that I can remember:

1. One of my sisters decided she did not like meat. (not trying to be a vegetarian, just didn't like it). Of course this was not acceptable in the 60's. Dinner was meat/starch/veggie. When my parents bought a new kitchen table, they took the old one apart. It was a formica top with hollow metal legs. When they took the leg off of the corner where my sister sat, a bunch of "nuggets" fell out. They were pieces of old and now dehydrated meat that she had stuffed into the leg! Why it didn't smell, I have no idea.

2. My brother had curious eating habits. He did not take a bite of one thing, chew, and swallow. He would scoop up the potatoes, vegetables and meat, as much as he felt was "good" to shovel in, then put down his fork and chew like a fat cheeked squirrel. It drove my dad crazy. hehe.

3. Me. I went through various phases of "food issues". The ongoing theme was that NOTHING COULD BE MIXED! If a speck of gravy meandered over to the vegetable, it was a major crisis for me. I ate each item seperately. No particular order, but I ate all of one thing, then the next, then the next. I got to the point where I would eat all of one thing, then get up and get a *new fork* out of the drawer. Three items on the plate....three forks. I remember one time when I started to get up and my mom said "Don't you dare get another fork!" So I had to improvise and instead wiped off my fork before starting on the next item. I did that for years. I also remember only liking broccoli crowns, and then deciding that I only liked the stems. God bless my mother for putting up with me!

Comments (6)

Sponsored