SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junebride_gw

trampoline concern ~ alternative gift?

junebride
22 years ago

My fiance received $100 for each of his two children from his his parents to purchase Christmas gifts for the kids (age 6 and 8)from their grandparents.

We had talked about a trampoline in the fall and he had never mentioned getting one in Nov/Dec. He hasn't spent the $200 and now he's feeling he needs to get a gift(s) soon.

His answer is a trampoline. There is one at Sam's Club for $200. But, the safety net to go with it is $150 and we would have to purchase that.

I am against this purchase for the following reasons:

*Numerous accidents due to trampoline use. (I don't think I'll win this one... we've discussed it many times and I can't seem to pursuade him.)

*We agreed in December to not go "overboard" on gifts. Adding the $150 would certainly do so. (His argument, though weak, is that we can spend the extra money now b/c we didn't go overboard then.)

*I feel it sends the message that if the kids don't get what they want for Christmas, there is always a chance after Christmas that Dad will come through for them. (I see a problem already w/one of the children regarding an attitude of "entitlement" and that Dad will "come through" if she wants something.

In our last discussion, I reluctantly agreed to get one (although I still have reservations b/c of safety), but want to wait til next Christmas. We can then have the trampoline from the grandparents and net from us w/ a few small gifts for indoors. He argues that they should get it now and get more use out of it.

So, here is my dilemma: He wants me to come up with a "just as good of an idea" as a trampoline of how to spend the $200. They already have bikes and roller blades for one.

Please help give ideas for a gift they could share or a $100 gift for each. (The 6yr old is a boy who loves to read. The 8yr old is a girl who enjoys dance/acting.) The gifts need to be fun things for them, as opposed to things they need such as clothes, etc. --not my rules, but how it's always been and my fiance's choice.)

TIA!

Comments (23)

Sponsored