Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going to the funeral of a 3 1/2 year old boy

Posted by believer (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 17:19

Saturday is the funeral for the young boy that I mentioned in a post a few months ago. He died of brain cancer. I have never been to the funeral of a child before. I'm having a bit of a hard time with it. Not that I don't want to go, I do. I just could hardly keep from crying when I ordered flowers today.

I am taking my SD10 with me because the little boy's sister was in SD's class at school for 2 years and they have been friends. The family moved out of state last year. SD10 wants to go...I'm sure there will be a huge turn out....many families since the father was the Principal of the school that our kids attend.

Funerals are never something that you look forward to but this one is especially difficult.

I don't really have any questions.....I just needed vent a little.....I'm nervous. Very sad.

I guess I don't have to say this but I'm going to anyway.....Kiss your babies today peoples. Kiss em real good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going to the funeral of a 3 1/2 year old boy

Believer - My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficulr time.

Bronzino

o

Bronzino

Thank you.....I knew the father the best. Since he was the Principal for 5 years at our school I spoke with him a lot. I did some cleaning to help with tuition and when I worked on Saturdays he would come in with two of his kids and the kids would watch me run the floor scrubbing machine. Then when I remarried and became the parent of my SD she ended up in the same class as his daughter.

I kind of take on the burdens of those that are suffering at times like this. I cry for them a lot. I know that a lot of people feel the same way. My heart breaks for them. I am not so sentimental about things but I am about memories. These people shared their lives with us. During some Chapels at school the Principal would bring his little son up on stage with him and the boy would crawl around while his daddy spoke to the school. Every one knew them.

It makes you see how fleeting this life is and how short our time is with our kids. I have a DD20 that is talking about moving out and although we have had our issues she wouldn't be leaving under bad circumstances, if she goes now. We could use the extra room but gosh I wish she was 5 years old again for a day here and there. There are days when I wish they would all leave and times when I cry for days that are long gone. Having this funeral in a few days is making me very emotional....how does a parent part with a child like that.

lamom....should you read this.....my heart aches for you. You and your dear son are in my prayers.

I must blow my nose now....sigh.

o

Oh my gosh how incredibly sad this must be for the whole community. I too have gone to a funeral today but the lady was 89 and lived a long and adventurous life. My husbands aunt. A loss at any age is tragic but especially one so young and never had the opportunites or life experiences. Another angel is sitting in heaven now. My heart goes out to you Believer and I am honored to meet you. Take care and god bless.

o

Yea my heart goes out to you, too, Believer.

At my son's school, a few years back, a girl was murdered whilst she was on her way home from school. Really shocking, I didn't even know the girl - but gee I suffered for days.

The whole event was very distressing, for me, can only imagine the impact for the poor family.

Death affects lots of people in different ways.

At the time, I wondered if the parent's of the girl would have been comforted to know of my sadness and distress about the death of their daughter. But I just kept my thoughts to myself.

Take care....

o

Well....the funeral for this little guy came and went and I stayed home. I have been feeling so crummy....chills, sniffles, not a full blown cold but not feeling good at all. The thought of going to this was going to take more energy than I had so I stayed home. We sent flowers and will make a donation in his memory. I'm sure that it was packed.

How do you heal from something like that. Those poor people.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here