SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariealways

Summer Visitations

mariealways
15 years ago

(this is long): DD is 9 and doesn't have a good relationship with her father, who lives in another state. He doesn't call her and she doesn't call him. He doesn't take the time to find out what is going on in her life. But there is a visitation order in place requiring her to visit for 6 weeks each summer and he always insists on enforcing his visitation. She has a miserable time each year and he complains about her. He has another son who lives with him and his live-in girlfriend and he and his girlfriend treat the son as if he is better than DD. She spends most of the 6 weeks in the house watching tv, while the son visits with his friends, goes to camp, and continues with his extracurricular activities. Well DD is a competitive athlete -- soccer and swimming -- both of which are year round sports. She competes at a very high levels in both. This summer she would like to attend swim camp, soccer camp, another non-sport residential camp and participate on a 3v3 soccer team (that is year round), but on which she cannot participate if she is unable to play the summer tournaments. Last summer, I asked him to get her set up with a summer swim team, but he did not. Again, she spent the summer doing nothing while the rest of her swim team kept training during the summer, the rest of her soccer team kept training and playing tournaments and leagues and going to camp. The result is that she was at a significant disadvantage in the fall. As she gets older, it will be even more of a problem. For example next year, she may not be able to get on a select/premier soccer team if he insists on 6 weeks visitation because she will not be able to participate in the select/premier tryouts, qualifying tournaments and practices.

She has been insisting all year that she will not go visit her father and that neither he nor I can make her. When we discuss summer visits and why she should go, she blames me for ruining her summers by having had her with him. I have asked him this year to allow her to compete in all of the camps and continue swimming and playing soccer and doing a 3 week visit, but he refuses. I am considering getting a lawyer, but fear I may just be wasting money. Any suggestions on what to do?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH