SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carla35_gw

Having friends over

carla35
18 years ago

My little boy is 7 and a lot of times when the moms go to pick up the kids after school an invitation is given to have someone come over and play at that time. I have always extened the invitation to the child's parent first (before asking the child) but it seems like most people just tell their child they can have so and so over and the kid goes and asks the other kid. That kid then gets permission from his mom, the moms verify the invitation and set plans for pick up time, etc...

Do you think I should continue asking the parents first, or just have my child give the invitation to the other child? I just find often the mother has plans or is getting the kids haircuts, etc.. and it can bring out a lot of disappointment with the kids. And, if she says no, there's often time to aks someone else but if the kids are involved, all order is lost! Not to mention that kids usually have no tact and often uninvited kids have to overhear the invitations given to others.

The other mothers seem to really want to give the child himself a choice in the matter. One time a mother was having car problems and called and asked that I bring her child home, I said, sure, and can he just come over and play for a little bit too? She said that I'd have to ask him, and give him the choice when I pick him up. I just thought that was really odd. My child is very popular and everyone has always really wanted to come over--jumped up and down, etc... so it's not that they don't want to come over.

Just wondering if you think I am treating my kid like a baby, or are they giving their kids to much control? It's like there's this fad with having to ask your kid and give him the choice if he wants to do something. What do you think? Am I missing something?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH