SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie5_gw

Potty issues..DD needs help

debbie5
22 years ago

In the past 5 weeks, DD (almost age 5) has started to obsess about going pee. She will go 5-8 times in a 1/2 hour...(but will go normally/not often if involved in heavy play, or when sound asleep.)

There is nothing clinically wrong with her to make this happen: no infections, etc. Doc says this often happens with anxiety. ???Huh??? The child is happy as a clam that I am home with her; there is no "anxiety" or anything different or changed to set her off 5 weeks ago. I gently questioned her, and she says she is thinking about going pee a lot, thinking about her butt, and then she has to pee. 3 drops will come out once the initial urine (@ the 1st potty trip) has passed. We never harassed her to be potty trained, and we never say/said anything about the 2 accidents she has had. No biggie, things happen. I re-iterated to her that if she has an accident, it's okay: we will clean her off, get new undies, etc.

The child is exhausting herself by staying up waaaaay too late doing this. It got to the point where she was still up "pottying" at 9:45 pm a few nights ago! (She was in bed at 8 pm.) We had been trying to ignore it, with a "if she's gonna obsess, let her..she will tucker herself out over it" but this has been going on for WEEKS. She has bags under her bags for eyes...she looks like a cancer patient! Doc just shrugged and said "Anxiety". Nice.

That doesn't tell me how to help the poor kid get past this! Most of her "stages" have lasted 2-3 weeks. This is exhausting. We have tried telling her she can go before tub, after tub and right before bed..have explained & pointed out how she has no pee left IN HER when it dribbles. No avail.Have tried asking her to count to 10 to try & hold it..nope. She yells she has to go potty NOW.

All you experienced Moms..what do you do when Doctor Spock, and your own doc have no answers? Any suggestions? Hubby and I are at our wits end. My Dad suggested asking her if she wants to go back to diapers & that sounded like a bbbaaaddd idea. Hubby suggested giving her a small dose of Benedryl 1/2 hour before bed to help her get sleepy & relax. We have a bedtime ritual, so she can get calm. She has NEVER had any probblems with bedtime or peeing before. If this was only a way ot delay bedtime, I might understand better & have a motive. But this is throughtout the day..?? We have told her she can relax about being a "big girl" (the kids in school are really into/peer pressuring about not being "babies"...maybe this is the key??).(sigh) Poor lil thing... : (

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County