SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freezetag

Is it too early to promote breastfeeding?

freezetag
16 years ago

My 5 year old dd's childcare provider has a new baby, so dd's dolls are all getting lots of attention these days. She spends a lot of time dressing them, taking them for rides in the doll stroller, feeding them etc. I was watching her play with her "babies" yesterday, and it made me remember that when my 12 year old dd first started playing with dolls, she used to hold them to her chest to feed them, as if breastfeeding, because that's how I fed her younger siblings. Of course she soon started using bottles to feed them, like all her friends did, but still, I feel that when she is a mother, she will think of breastfeeding as a normal way of feeding a baby.

In contrast, my younger daughter has never seen anyone nurse a baby, though I have mentioned once or twice, when a neighbor cat had kittens, or when we see a nursing animal at the zoo, etc, that some moms (including me) feed their babies this way. I can tell that it is a foreign concept to her, and don't think that it's important for her to understand now. But I would prefer that she learn about it before she becomes a mom.

Maybe it is nothing to worry about. I'm probably oversensitive because when I had my kids, I caught a lot of static from my inlaws, none of whom nursed their children. My mother in law even bought my first baby some baby vitamins, "just in case", I guess because she didn't think that she would be getting the nutrients she needed. And if my mom hadn't breastfed me and my siblings, I may have doubted it, too. So I don't want it too seem too odd, and just wonder, for those of you with older children, if this is something you ever discuss with your daughters? Maybe it is OK to just wait until they are ready to have their own children? And just so no one flames me, I'm not knocking formula, just want all options to seem acceptable.

Comments (8)

Sponsored