Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A good place to visit with a seven year old?

Posted by Megan_in_WV (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 02 at 8:53

I posted this question on the 'vacations board', but I didn't get many responses. I'm trying to plan our vaction we have one son who is seven years old (actually he will be 8 in May) anyway, can anyone tell me a great vacation spot to go with a child? I live in WV, so I prefer to stay in the east. We've been to Disney World--we love it but can't afford it this year. We were thinking about going to Hershey Park in PA and Gettysburg but I'm afraid Gettysburg will bore my son. I'd love any ideas from you? Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A good place to visit with a seven year old?

My grandmother took me on a trip when I was 11 to Gettysberg, hershey park (saw the factory but no rides), We went to The Snyder Pretzel factory, Philadelphia to see the Franklin Mint, Liberty Bell etc.. and then to DC to see the Smithsonian. I loved it and I wasnt much of a history buff and still dont have much of an interest. Our 8yr old would love it, he loves to read about war. I also went to Lake Placid NY when I was 8, got to see Santas Village and lots of fishing spots if he likes that. I am not sure his interests, Our son would love to go anywhere fishing and canoeing for a week. Niagara Falls is not to far but to have fun you need lots of money for all the attractions.

o

Williamsburg Virginia! They have a lot of kid friendly stuff....like tricorn hats...mock battles....people in costume crafts for kids...and history.
Took our son there when he was 7....wondering if he would get anything out of it....and he sat bolt upright in bed one night....said "Thomas Jefferson"...and fall back down...sound asleep!....so something was sinking in! LOL!
Also...the outter banks are great for kids....and if you want to drive a bit how about Sturbridge Village, Plymouth plantation, Boston and The Cape?
Linda C

o

Anyplace that has a good zoo!

o

My in-laws live in Columbus, and we have been to the Columbus Zoo several times, which in my opinion is one (if not the best)zoo in the east. I've been to the DC zoo and although it was great the Columbus zoo is even better! :)

Thanks for all the advice, I'm loving it! I'll check them all out!

o

There is also the Crayola Factory in Easton, PA right on the NJ border. I used to live maybe 10 mins. from there. Columbus Zoo is also cool (I'm from Ohio originally). Maybe the Pro Football Hall of fame in Canton? (that might be stretching it a bit unless he likes sports!)

o

Megan,

There's lot's to do in Pittsburgh if you want a close by big(ish) city experience. They have brand new football and baseball stadiums. Lots of very good museums. Kennywood Park is a great amusement park with old time rides and new super rollercoasters. They also have in the summer lots of festivals at Point State Park and they have a big regatta festival on the rivers with speed boat racing, etc.

o

How about St. Louis?

The Arch
A big Zoo
Cardinal Baseball
Grant's Farm (which is a must)
Science Center
City Museum
Museum of Transport
Magic House
Six Flags (in Eureka: about a 40 minute drive)
Butterfly House
Purina Farms
Art Museum
History Museum

Here is a link that might be useful: St. Louis Kid attractions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here