Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oprah's show on 2/12

Posted by mac72 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 02 at 1:06

How many of you watched Oprah's show on Tuesday? Not trying to start trouble or be flamed....but honestly how many of you could relate? Not to the name calling of your children, or physically hurting them....but to the everyday stresses that we deal with and how sometimes our kids take the 'brunt' of it. I know I for one have some areas that I need to work on, such as 'yelling' and sometimes belittling my kids when they do something wrong. I think Dr. Phils advise was great and I plan on using it to deal with some of my own issues. I tend to let things go and go and go until I finally blow up. I hate yelling at my kids to clean their room or yelling at them for something they have done. I made a promise to myself as soon as the show was over, that I am NOT going to yell at them anymore. If it takes going outside and kicking a tree (dr. phil's words) that is what I am going to do..
Did this show have an impact on anyone else?
THANKS!!
Mac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oprah's show on 2/12

No I didn't see it but would love to hear what the advice was! I feel I yell and nag a bit too much myself. What did they say?

o
RE: Oprah's show on 2/12

I highly recommend the book How to Talk so Your Kids Will Listen and Listen so Your Kids will Talk. Others have recommended this book before but it really is full of wonderful strategies and I for one need a "refresher" read!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here