SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Eyebrow piercing

moonie_57 (8 NC)
17 years ago

Of all things, my 14 y/o daughter wants to get her eyebrow pierced. There was no way I was going to give into this thing and told her we would discuss it again this summer when she turns 15. I'm wondering what other parents thoughts on this is.

It kinda reminds me of when I was a teenager.. when blue hair and mini skirts were all the rage, just as all fads come and go with the times. There seems to be a short timeframe during those teenage years where these "off the wall" things seem to be appropriate (to the kids).

How far will you go to allow your child his/her individuality or self-expression and struggles towards adulthood?

With the true evils of drugs and alcohol so readily available, is it worth fighting over a simple piercing or should these fights be saved for those bigger problems?

To be honest, I really don't have a problem with the idea of an eyebrow piercing. I'm more concerned about the reaction of others, such as teachers or other kids parents. Should I let the perception of others rule my decision? I think people tend to judge on the physical looks of kids these days, not knowing whether they're commendable young people or not.

Just out of curiosity, when you see a girl with a pierced lip, or a boy with a nose ring, what is your first thought?

Comments (88)

• labmomma
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cassandra - Maybe you could answer a question for me that I always wonder when I see a teen with the piercings, tatoos and wildly colored hair - Why do you feel the need for the piercings and all the different hair coloring? Aren't you satisfied or happy with your appearance as it is? I am sure that you are very naturally attractive girl, and do not understand why you would do all of these piercings, tatoos and dying of the hair? I am interested in an answer from your perspective? In my opinion, when you do all of the above, it makes you unattractive as opposed to more attractive. Do you think that these things you do make you more attractive? Do your friends all have the same piercings, etc. and what is their opinion on what these endeavors do for your appearance.

Thanks for your input.

• cass_sd
    17 years ago

It's not really a need, more of a want or desire, but I understand where your questions're coming from. I'm the type of person that thrives off of individuality and self-expression, so I love being "different," so I dress differently, and do odd things. It started for the most part with "gothic" clothing, which I don't really wear much anymore, but people still call me a goth, and after that I got into dying my hair. I wasn't really satisfied with my appearance at all before I got into any of these things, either.. I'm naturally a dirty blonde, and I will admit that I weighed 85 pounds or so more back then, so it didn't help with my lack of self-esteem.

With a lack of self-esteem, I turned towards something different, seeing how I like to be my own "person" anyway, and began to get fascinated with the entire odd or different look. I think that it does make me a bit more attractive, and it puts me aside from others.. I'm not afraid to show who I am, and I enjoy being myself, so why not show it? To each their own, but I understand your perspective, it's just a matter of understanding mine now.

My best friend got her right eyebrow pierced after I got mine done, which is the same day that I got my left one pierced. I have friends with a variety of piercings, but a lot of them don't have any, and some would never even dream of being pierced. They're fine with it, and a lot of them like the eyebrow piercings, the hair dying, etc. I'll also add in that they're not all part of the typical group that many people would imagine me hanging out with.. I hang out with a variety of people, because I'm not very judgmental.

I can understand your view on piercings and the other things being unattractive.. and I do agree to an extent. If they're not done right, or are on the wrong people, then it doesn't look right, and it turns out unattractive. I've noticed that when it comes to things like piercings or hair color, it has to be the right person, and in regards to piercings, the right place and jewelry - they can be beautiful. On the other hand, if somebody had a face full of metal.. That's disgusting.

-Cassandra

• Related Discussions

How about a little decorum?

Q

Comments (38)
    I had my ears pierced in a mall kiosk in West Virginia in approximately 1977 and my stepmother and I had second holes done at a mall kiosk in New Hampshire in the early 1980s, maybe 1983 - places like Piercing Pagoda have been around pretty much as long as there have been malls IME. It does bother me when people bring their very small children (I'm talking toddlers and preschoolers) to a public place to have their ears pierced because you can hear the screaming-in-pain at the other end of the mall, poor kids. (I know piercing ears when children are very, very young is a common thing among some ethnic groups but I still don't like the practice.) I wonder why everyone in this thread assumes everyone's cell phone conversations are always "mindless". That's a pretty insulting overgeneralization. I'm with jamies - if I'm standing/sitting next to a couple or small group of people conversing, it's much more intrusive to me. I often feel like I'm inadvertently eavesdropping. They can get extremely loud, too, louder than any cell talker I've heard - I've been driven out of my favorite cafe more than once by noisy people. (And gosh golly gee whiz, they're talking about "mindless" things just as often as people on phones!) Many stores and restaurants and other public places where I live have banned cell phones - signs up on the door saying something like "please turn off your cell phone ringer, otherwise you may be asked to leave". I do text a good bit while I'm sitting around doing nothing in a waiting room or in a looooong line, now that I have a phone that isn't horrible for texting - I don't really see how that is much different from, say, someone reading a magazine, doing a sudoku puzzle, or some other quiet time-occupier while waiting. "Conversations between strangers" being a good thing? I DON'T WANT frickin' strangers talking to me! I find having the phone headset on keeps people away, which is what I want - I use one with a corded boom mike because I can talk quietly and still be heard, and it's very visible unlike the tiny little Bluetooth jobbies (which I also have, was a freebie with my phone, but I hate it because its charge life is very short, the mike is several inches from my mouth so I do have to raise my voice, and it drops out more often).
    ...See More

Are your ears pierced? And when did you do it?

Q

Comments (105)
    My ears aren't pierced but I'd like to explain my wifes experience for many years ago. She had her ears pierced in 1974 at which time ear piercing was not very popular, she had been thinking about it for a while and around the time of her 16th birthday, her mum suggested that if she went and had her ears pierced, her mum, would buy her some earrings. That decided it so she went to the local jeweller in Greenford, West of London and had to make an appointment to go back the following week to be pierced, that seems so strange now with ear piercing being immediately available. the man used a device called the Simplicity Ear Piercer which effectively pushed a needle through her lobes and then inserted hinged sleeper hoops into the holes. She had to keep the sleepers in for 6 weeks weeks turning them daily. After 6 weeks she took the sleepers out and tied to get in the earrings her mum had bought her. After half an hour of prodding and poking they would not go in and so she put the sleepers back for another two weeks and went and some some studs instead. Fast forward nearly ten years and I asked her one night if she still had her sleepers - to which she said no as they had broken, but asked me why i liked them particularly. I said because wearing them would make her look like she had just had her ears pierced. No more was said, and we went on holiday a few weeks later, having arrived at the resort she handed me a little brown envelope - and said 'present for you'. Inside was a new pair of hinged sleepers which she immediately let me put in her ears and wore them for the rest of the holiday. Wow. I have asked on a few occasions if she thought about having her ears re-pierced but she always said no, one hole was enough. So I got some spring loaded silver hoops and one night when i put these on her she said she would have another hole done. So far still only the one hole, but she did wear the spring hoops in public the other week and did look so good. Not sure where the earring/piercing fascination comes from as my mum did not have pierced ears and I did not have a sister, but just wanted to share this story
    ...See More

What trend do you hate right now?

Q

Comments (56)
    Kathsgrdn - I was going to say the same about the blue tooth thing. You really need to be on the phone so much that it has to be glued to your ear? And you look ridiculous walking around talking to yourself. It drives me crazy. The trend I really hate is how people use cell phones, as mentioned in many posts above. Yes, I've used my in public, but I try to make it short. I see people walking around a store in deep conversation. Hey, I don't want to hear your conversation. Take it outside! Once when I was in Starbucks, a women couldn't even pry the phone off her ear long enough to place her order. She instead grabbed one of the business cards on the counter, wrote down her order, and threw it at the barista. She talked the entire time, took her drink and left. The barista and cashier were floored. They couldn't believe the nerve. Don't even get me started on people using cell phones when driving. Zeetera - really, you don't like scarves other than in winter? There are some cute linen ones for the spring.
    ...See More

DD got a tattoo and Mom's not happy!

Q

Comments (42)
    My DH and I both dislike tattoos and clearly don't understand why anyone would want to mess up the body God intended for you to have. One of our ex-employees has tats. When we hired him he only had a few and we told him he had to keep them covered at all times and body piercings gone. One day during the summer he had to crawl up in the attic of a customers home to pull wire through for some light fixtures. Here in Fl, during the summer the attic can reach 120 or more degrees. He took off his shirt because it was so hot and when he was coming out of the attic, the homeowner, a woman, screamed. She didn't know who or WHAT it was coming out of her attic. Police were called, employee was showing his ID, even though she met him when he first showed up. My husband was summoned to the customers home. Employees tatts were of skull bones and other scarry stuff all over his chest, back and arms! He had gotten more since we hired him. He did quit eventually but we knew then that we couldn't send him into any more customer homes to work. That was quite a few years ago and since then ex-employee has ran into DH and told him that he's trying to get rid of all tattoos because no one wants to hire him looking like a freak. He also let the piercings close up. He told DH that he wishes he never got them that he was too young when he got his first one.
    ...See More
  • labmomma
    17 years ago

Thanks for responding Cassandra. I disagree that the tats and hair coloring are who you are - but it's your decision. My daughter has the same problem with gaining weight - she is about 5'5" and 90 pounds and appears very thin. I am sure this bothers her, since all of the other girls are 20 pounds heavier, but she's dealing well so far. She dresses nicely and takes time to attend to her appearance. She looks beautiful and wholesome without all those additions you have decided for your image. I would hate to see her go the route of piercing and tatooing to deflect attention to her weight/shape. However, that is your choice.

I do have something to add to this piercing thread. I had an experience yesterday afternoon. I was at the mall with DD and killing time whilst she shopped. I went to the coffee shop to get a "treat" coffee. I was in a long line and when I stepped forward to be waited on, I noticed that all 3 baristas were tatooted, pierced, crazy dyed hair.

The gal who took my money was the least mutilated.

The girl who made my coffee was tatooed up and down both arms. She was wearing a t-shirt on one of the coldest days in our area to show off her tatoos. Her appearance was dirty. It turned my stomach. I am sorry, but I do not want a dirty looking barista with numerous piercings making my coffee treat. She had pierced eyebrows, tongue, lip, nose, ugh.

I paid for my coffee, she was coughing into her hand which really was the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't want to be judgmental but truth is, I am. I thanked her, politely took the coffee from her, dumped it into the trash can outside the store. $4 down the drain, but it made me physically sick at the thought of drinking out of the cup she put together both because of her coughing all over herself and her general appearance.

Since the line was long, I could not see the baristas, or I would never have ordered anything. Once I stepped up, I just ordered and paid, but I felt like asking these poor girls, what are you thinking?? BTW, I was not the only person commenting on the appearance of all of the employees who were working with food products.

I was so totally grossed out by the appearance of these girls. I cannot imagine that this coffee chain couldn't find a little cleaner looking baristas to take orders and make coffee. Sounds judgmental, but it is what it is as far as my expectations of who is prepping my coffee/food.

I am praying that my daughter never wants to do any of that stuff to herself. These piercings, dyings and tatoos did nothing to make these young girls more attractive, but rather made them look tough as nails, worn out beyond their years, dirty, etc. Yes, it did set them apart from other girls their age but not in a good way. It made them look like freaks compared to others their age. I would think they face more adversity with their tatooed and pierced appearances.

I know self confidence has to come within, but I would think some sort of counseling would be better than mutilating your body.

• cass_sd
    17 years ago

The people you are describing that served you coffee do seem like they took it too far, and in fact, just hearing about it disgusted even me. I don't plan to get many more piercings, if anything, I'll get more on my ears, and maybe something for a year or less on my lip.. But I really like my eyebrow piercings. They're not so obvious that it seems like I'm screaming for attention, and it's a nice little touch, I think.

The part that would really throw me off about your experience would be how unsanitary the girl was being - coughing all over herself? I'm not a germ freak, but that's really gross, and I would have done the same as you did. I'm the opposite of your daughter, although it is a weight problem. Mine is tied to a defect in my thyroid, hypothyroidism, so my metabolism is basically non-existant. I've been taking pills for it for about a year, and I've lost 85-90 pounds. My "workout" is pretty amusing, but it really works, and I've impressed at least 100 people with it: I play DDR for it.

I didn't really get the piercings to make other people think of me differently or think of me as any more attractive, but I did do it for myself, and I'm glad I did. They're things I enjoy having, and they can be removed, unlike tattoos, so I don't mind.

I also don't view these things as body mutilation, because I tend to think of self-mutilation when I hear the words "body mutilation." I'm not one to willingly talk things out with people I don't know or trust, so I'm better off talking to my friends about it, which I do.

I hope you and your daughter are doing well. :]

• coolmama
    17 years ago

About the COFFEEHOUSE thing...Where I live,most coffee houses have people with piercings and tattoos.I think it's because here,a coffee house is a place where people who dress like that like to hang out.It almost more of a cultural thing then a coffee thing.
    Where I can see how you (LABMOMMA) have every right to be turned off and grossed out by your exprience,it is a narrow kind of view to think all people with piercings and tattoos are "DIRTY" people. And for every "dirty" pierced and tattooed person who was gross,I can think of many so called "normal" looking people who have been just as gross as well.

I think it is an unfair generalization. I also want to add,that most people who get these piercings and tattoos are not the kind of people who WANT jobs of high power and money in society. Many of those people prefer different kind of jobs that many of the normal people would scoff at. So,all I'm saying is,EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.
    I myself would be bored to tears by a high paying normal job. I'd much rather prefer a job that allowed me to be creative.And many creative jobs can make a ton of money also. Animators and fashion designers,working in the music industry. Being artistic.
    Also,not everyone thinks the same things are attractive.Just like men and their "I prefer blondes" or "I prefer brunettes" deal. I personally dont think alot of tattoos on a woman is very feminine or attractive. However,I'm not a guy,and I know alot of them who LOVE a woman with alot tattoos.
    The good thing about piercings is they are easily removed.

• trekaren
    17 years ago

In reading thru all the great postings, as I said earlier, I have explored my own reaction to folks who have made some of these individualistic choices.

I feel in my personal case that I don't have a 'narrow' view. I think what I experience is a human gut reaction to the different.

Blondes and Brunettes may be a preference, but Magenta hair is a choice to be different. So Cyndi Lauper or Pink will definitely stand out from the Celine's or Britney's of the world. And it is a conscious choice to stand out, I think. Kind of like people who used to delve into the colored contacts trend, and you'd see people on the street with jarring eye colors.

How can a human being help but react in a human way when encountering something 'different'?

When I travel to Seattle, I see a host of different style choices compared to what I see here in Atlanta. And I don't experience such a reaction in myself, because in Seattle, it is more the 'norm'. Running into the same style choices here in my hometown would definitely garner a reaction.

I personally don't think I'm narrow-minded to have these reactions. I think it is only human to react to the 'different'.

• bnicebkind
    17 years ago

That is the point they are trying to make IMO. They "feel" like a rebel and cool because they are playing the part of a group that used to be outside of the norm. But it is now so common place, that I think it is only their parents/friends of their parents, or potential employers who react to it now. Those taking it to the outer limits with multiple piercings/tatoos will find they are limiting their options in life. They will find it hard to get the high paying jobs, for the most part. And so they will have choices to make. Is their "look" worth the price they are paying in lost opportunities? In my view, they are handicapping themselves...for what????? The 20's and 30's are the years when they should soar...when they should be thriving creatively, and professionally before the responsibilities in life make it more difficult. This is just my opinion.

And last...for those into piercings, make sure that you have some pictures taken without the piercings. A day may come when you are "over it" as you grow up and go through various changes in your thinking...we all do, and you may want pictures one day to show your kids without all the piercings.

• popi_gw
    17 years ago

I was in the fruit shop today, the girl on the checkout, had a hole in her upper lip, very obvious. I thought she must have had a piercing and the employer said she should take it out, so she did. She looked silly.

Does the hole grow back, I wondered ?

Popi

• coolmama
    17 years ago

That's an intresting question popi. Most of the holes DO close up. There of course are some that dont.
    When I was 17,I pierced my own nose myself. It hurt so bad though,I only left it in for 3 days. The hole closed up fine and you cant even tell it was ever pierced.
    Yet,my belly button piercing does not close up. I have left the ring out for up to a year and it never closed.

I have heard you can go to a plastic surgeon though and they can sew it up for you if it doesnt close. If I ever decided to no longer have my belly pierced,I'd probably do that.But I like it.There are so many really pretty belly rings to choose from. I get compliments all the time (when I wear a bathing suit) on my belly rings.
    Even by my extremely conservative family.

• remodelingfool
    17 years ago

I read through most peoples' postings here and wanted to put my 2 cents in.

My daughter turned 18 late last year and got her first tattoo (knowing I disapproved) a little over a month later. 3 weeks after that (knowing I disapproved), she got a lip piercing. She claimed they were self-expression, but I believe rebellion was a primary factor.

The timings of tattoo and piercing correlated with increased school absences, defiance of home rules and verbal disrespect toward me. I also noted that my daughter was getting heavily into the punk rock scene and attending concerts more regularly.

After the piercing, I told my daughter she could either remove the lip ring or lose her early graduation present, a brand new car. She refused to remove the lip ring, so I took her car keys. Soon after, she attended a school night concert without the agreed-upon grades (80 or above), so I changed the locks on the house and she went to live with her father. He claims to despise the piercing and tattoo, but imposes fewer rules in his household....every teen's dream.

I believe that getting piercings and tattoos may:
    1) limit a person's choice of employers
    2) limit a person's choice of lifemates
    3) lead to secondary infections and/or tissue erosion (particularly piercings around the mouth)
    4) lead to later regrets
    5) correlate with other, perhaps negative, events going on in a teen's life

• labmomma
    17 years ago

remodelingfool - I couldn't agree more.

coolmama - I have followed many of your posts. I would not consider your family stories those of a conservative family, really quite the opposite. Also, please realize that those jobs you refer to as creative are very few and far between. The people filling those jobs are usually college graduates who have recommendations and a nice resume to accompany them to a job interview. No pierced, tatooed, blue/purple haired individuals in Disney's animation department. Regarding the fashion industry. Look at the women who have made it, Bobby Brown, Vera Wang, Kate Spade, etc. Do you see the difference?

• coolmama
    17 years ago

Excuse me LABMOMMA,but my family happens to be extremely conservative. what you have read has been about my immeadiate family,not the entire family. My grandparents,aunts and uncles are all very wealthy and very conservative people. They dont even believe in divorce! It was them that I was referring to that complimented my belly ring.
    And,there are more creative jobs then those that you named. Personally,I dont know anyone who would even want to work at Disney,so,no big loss there.
    I also think it is terribly unfair to make the assumption that all people with tattoos or piercings are rebellious! You really shouldnt open that can of worms about generalizing a particular group.

• popi_gw
    17 years ago

So Remodelingfool.....are you suggesting that because your daughter got some peircings, that made her behaviour change ?

In my mind, at 18, I would not like it if my daughter got piercings, but that is her decision, she must suffer the consequences. I would not take it personally.

I think, as parents, we need to think very carefully about how we react to such things. Some children just love doing things to shock their parents.

Popi

• sheilajoyce_gw
    17 years ago

In our area, lots of people have various piercings and tattoos. That said, I think people look odd with them and unattractive. In fact, I think of it as a form of mutilation and feel that most are an indication of self loathing. I do form a first impression that is not positive, and I would hesitate to hire anyone with such if I were a business owner and my employee would represent the firm in dealing with the public. I do understand that nice people do pierce in odd places and do wear tattoos, but I still feel sorry for them.

• labmomma
    17 years ago

My generalization would be that the tatooing and piercing is a stupid move.

• coolmama
    17 years ago

you know what? that is fine if that is how YOU feel.But not everyone wants to look how you think they should look. And it is wrong to say those who do it are in some way,less then you,or to assume they are all rebellious,or disrespectful.

• kitchenmom
    17 years ago

Hi all. I've been lurking on this board for a while, and finally feel the need to jump in on this thread. As background, I'm an "older" mom of a 3.5 and 6 y.o. with no tattoos and only my ears pierced. I am a professional and probably come across as fairly conservative-looking.

That said, I'm shocked at the judgmental tone of so many on this thread. People choose to tattoo and pierce for many different reasons--shock value, wanting to be cool, self expression, aesthetic preferences, etc. Some of the reasons are better than others, but all the choice of the person who does it. How many of you who are so judgmental about these choices dye your hair, wear make-up (admittedly less permanent, but still a choice to alter your "natural" physical appearance), feel comfortable with breast implants, face-lifts, botox, etc.? We live in a world where people choose to alter their physical appearance (not really a new thing in history). I just don't understand the strong reaction.

For those of you who say people who do this will limit their choices in jobs, I have this to say: While it is true that really extreme measures such as facial tattooing might have this effect, body and arm tattoos and most piercings are not necessarily so limiting. I am a professor at a very well-respected law school. Many of my students have eyebrow/nose/tongue piercings and tattoos. Most of them recognize that in many legal settings they will have to remove the facial hardware, but only where the setting calls for it. All of the ones who are good students (i.e., good grades, law review, etc.) get good jobs working in law firms, working for judges, for the government, etc.--and yes, there are many very bright students who have piercings and tattoos.

Some of my favorite, nicest, most respectful students have facial piercings and tattoos. Many of them will make terrific lawyers because they do not slavishly follow "conventional" norms without questioning the logic behind them. They are courageous, smart, creative, interesting people. I don't mean to make it sound like the majority of law students have these piercings, because they don't, but there are plenty that do, and they won't be working in coffeehouses or "the arts."

I hope that when my children are old enough to raise this issue, I will have the good sense to make sure that the desire is legitimate, and not the product of some misguided motivation and, if the desire is legitimate, let them go ahead with it. I am more concerned with raising my children to be moral, respectful, independent thinkers with a strong sense of self and ability to distinguish right from wrong. I see nothing incompatible with that and various forms of body modification. I cannot imagine punishing a child for making a choice about appearance. If there is other bad behavior involved, I intent to deal with the behavior itself.

Right now, all I have to deal with are the constant requests for temporary Hello Kitty tattoos and Barbie band-aids, but I'm sure the day is coming when I'll have to face this issue.

I'm sorry to jump into the board with such a strong statement, but I just couldn't hold back anymore.

• popi_gw
    17 years ago

Kitchenmom

I agree with what you say, and think it would be a wonderful world if we could all be non-judgemental, but unfortunately out there in the world, people are judgemental, and in order for us to fit in we must accept that we must conform.

I think this forum is wonderful for allowing everyone to speak their mind and be annonomous.

After having a son with dreadlocks, I fully understand people's judgements about that, but I knew my son, and he was my lovely boy, who just had odd hair. Its taught me not to be so judgmental about people who do alter their appearance in any way.

P

• labmomma
    17 years ago

COOLMAMA - OP asked for opinions. I gave mine. I am sorry you don't agree or like it. I am not addressing my opinion to you personally, but to all of the young adults who think they are making a statement, rebelling, or whatever the reason is for mutilating their body. I don't think I am any better than them, I feel sorry for them.

kitchenmom - I agree your students may be gifted, but their piercings, if not removed, will definitely impact the course of their employment opportunities. I am very curious, as I am very familiar with your setting and career path, what you would consider a legitimate reason to pierce your tongue, lips, nose? If I were a client, I would never want a pierced attorney. I also know that many firms don't even want to see facial hair on a protential hire. I cannot imagine a firm that would hire a pierced, visably tatooed attorney (speaking from experience of course).

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There certainly are varying degrees of tolerance here and I gotta say I'm more surprised how tolerant some of you are. I just wonder when actually faced with the situation if you would remain so.

For now it's a non-issue for me and I think for several reasons... I had previously told DD that we wouldn't seriously discuss the eyebrow piercing before summer, and her friend with the "cool" parents with tattoos and piercing have moved away so there is no influence in that regard right now. Also, she has had a problem with one of her ears being infected. She only has single piercings in the lobes so maybe it got her to thinking about infection in the eyebrow. Anyway, I'm glad she doesn't keep bringing it up.

About everyone's opinions... I think we all picture something different when we talk about this subject. When i first posted it was about a single eyebrow piercing, then we got to talking about tats and hair as well. Put it all together and you got a guy with dreadlocks, tats up and down both arms, piercing in every place imaginable... whoa! I believe I'll hire the attorney with the single ear ring, and I prefer the waitress not showing her belly-button, pierced or not. If I'm going to have my car repaired, I don't care what the mechanic looks like.. as long as he knows his business. The good thing about piercings is they are removable... not so easy with tattoes. But, small tats in the right places can be covered and only displayed outside the workforce.

So, all in all, I guess we have different views of what is tolerable and upstanding. We all judge books by their covers to one degree or another, right or wrong.

• kitchenmom
    17 years ago

I absolutely agree that there are degrees here and that, while someone with multiple visible piercings and tattoos is likely to get a strong reaction, a single nose or eyebrow piercing is not necessarily an obstacle to any employment.

Labmomma--there are certainly some large corporate firms with corporate clients who are intolerant of anything but the most conservative appearance, but I do know of many legal settings that would hire someone with visible piercings, and many clients who wouldn't be at all bothered by the fact that their lawyer has an eyebrow ring.

I guess that, ultimately, I don't see choosing to be pierced as such a big deal. It isn't a path I have chosen myself, but just because a young person chooses to get various facial piercings doesn't mean that they are ruining their lives and will never be a productive, successful member of society. First, because I believe there are many people in many parts of the country who don't see it as such an issue, and second because most of these things can be removed at a later date.

I actually have a student right now who has an eyebrow ring that cannot be removed without great trouble because it is one of those continuous rings. Another has those earrings that are thick continuous rings that make large holes in the ears. Both of these students are graduating this year and were hired, with piercings, into good paying jobs--one with the public defender, another with a small firm.

I guess overall my feeling about this is that I don't see any need to feel sorry for, or look down on, people who choose to make piercings and tattoos part of their appearance. While we do live in a world in which people judge based on appearance, that doesn't mean that everyone has to conform to the most conservative notions of acceptable appearance. Fifty years ago, the thought of women wearing pants in the workplace was as horrifying (or more) than the tought of a lip piercing today, but brave women started doing it and the norms changed.

There is no way to predict, for any given person/child, what the consequences of piercing might be, but this is true of all life decisions. I guess that my hope as a parent is to equip my children with an ability to understand that there are consequences to their behavior, and a willingness to accept responsibility for their choices. They are bound to make choices I don't like or agree with. I certainly won't be thrilled if one of them wants to pierce their tongue, because that is one piercing I personally find distasteful. But I don't think it is my job to prohibit it as long as I think my child is old enough to understand the consequences of this decision and goes into it with open eyes.

Sorry this got so long. I really find it a fascinating subject.

• jeremyslonepropierce
    16 years ago

Ok first things first "To Each There Own" if people could understand that the world would be a better place. I understand you always have the freedom of speech and I respect that but most of you are making a big mistake. Ive been piercing since I was 15 and im now 25. IÂve done thousands of them on people from all different cultures and backgrounds or professions including a County Judge and his wifeÂs nipples so it doesnÂt ruin your life or hold you back from a job IÂm a department lead for a Big CD/DVD Manufacturer and have 14 piercings plus ¾ inch holes in my lobes. There is jewelry made to conceal the piercing called retainers just little pieces of polycarbonate plastic you cant even see. But I have noticed over the years that you wont stop a determined teenager that wants a piercing. Now I will not pierce anyone under 15 and thatÂs only navels, eyebrows and ears. Anything else you have to be 18 but if you tell your child NO then youÂll get 1 of two results either they will do it themselves or have a friend do it and thatÂs the worst thing that could happen there is a lot of problems that could and probably will happen if not done by a Pro. And if your worried about getting someone who doesnÂt know what their doing check with the Association of Professional Piercers at www.safepiercing.org . And every good Piercer should have a portfolio to see and docs. From the health department. Now tell me- Does that sound better than your teen doing it on their own with improper tools,needles,and jewelry?

• imamommy
    16 years ago

My 17 1/2 year old daughter came to me last week and asked if she can get her lip pierced. I told her to look at her ears. She had them pierced when she was a baby. She hardly ever wears earings but the holes remain there, visible. I told her that if she pierces her face (anywhere), she could end up with permanent holes or scars when she is older and has her own children, etc. I told her it may be cool now but when she grows up, she may regret it. She thought about it and then asked me if she can get her ears pierced again. That is something I was fine with.

My niece got a "tramp stamp" as soon as she turned 18. She had a baby when she was 20 and, well I don't know what it looks like now because she sure keeps it covered up now. She was so proud of it when she first got it. She also tattoo'd her baby's foot on her shoulder. I think it looks awful.

• amyfiddler
    16 years ago

A few thoughts.

Tats and piercings put you in a category, like it or not.
    No one can judge fairly and say, a person with a tat is dirty or naughty...

But anyone with a tat or piercing at one time has thought, I'm going against the grain intentionally.

More interesting, I find the discussion of cool parents. I tend to look at parents who try hard to look cool and I feel sorry for them - but then I look in the mirror and realize how cool I look! LOL!!! Kidding. My style with kids is to show interest and lots of snacks and hugs. I think that's pretty cool - then when I holler at them for doing stupid stuff they know i still love them, even if I'm wearing sweats or not buying them Big League Chew or whatever -

I do notice however that some moms try extra hard to recreate their childhood and fix what was wrong by finally wearing the latest fad stuff and by being buddies and 'popular' with the kids. Then again, it's often the less physically attractive women that are squawking about it - those who are secure and solid are neither the so called 'cool' parents nor the squawkers.

That looks like I'm pointing fingers here but it's not, i dont' know anyone here at all but it seems to be a pattern i notice around me in my social arena.

• eibhli_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

Hi,

Sorry for the intrusion - I'm not a parent, I'm just a 16-year-old girl who has stumbled across this page and feels the need to reply to the comments that have been posted here.

There seems to be some sort of feeling that people who get pierced/tattooed do it purely to look cool, to fit in with a group, etc. I have an eyebrow piercing (among other piercings), none of my friends are pierced, I have no desire to look "cool", I simply like the way piercings look. I don't want to fit in with some group or anything.

I have personally never found anyone to be judgemental about my appearance - it's not a problem in school, some of my friends' parents quite like my piercings, any employer I've ever had has not cared in the slightest, the parents of the kids I babysit don't have a problem with my piercings either. I get straight A's, I work hard, I'm generally a nice, friendly person.

Piercing is not a form of mutilation, nor is it a form of self-loathing. I don't hate myself, I just like piercings.

Perhaps people are using piercings as an excuse to judge people they find unsatisfactory for different reasons? Maybe if I was failing in school, didn't work hard and was generally a nasty person there would be those who would say it's because of my piercings?

There are both good and bad people with dyed hair, there are both good and bad people who wear certain clothes, and there are both good and bad people who get pierced or tattooed.

Well anyway I just felt I had to say all that because I do feel that some people on this forum are unfairly judging people and do have some pretty big misconceptions about piercings.

Eibhlís

• dally099
    16 years ago

hi there, if its any comfort to you ill tell you when i was 15 (im now 32) i got the wise idea to get my nose peirced, it was the in thing, you know what my mom freaked out and threw a tantrum, i was in the bathroom admiring my self when i heard my dad tell her to shut up before i went out and pierced the other side! not to mention i had purple hair and wore army fatigues, long story short, eventualy i realized how silly it looked and took it out. i decided to join the military and couldnt have it anyways. so you know what it could be worse, she is a kid, and kids have to learn the hard and painfull way sometimes. i know am married (to a normal non peirced man with a good job) have 4 kids (3 girls god help me!) and am finally going to university, something i wanted to do for a long time. dont judge her for wanting to do this, i know a lot of awsome, intelegant kids who just happen to think that this looks COOL! its no worse than the other phase of people my age which was getting your ears peirced to the point you couldnt see skin anymore. and just remember if she comes home with it done, dont freak to bad or she may get the other side done just to tee you off some more! GOOD LUCK :)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, it's been almost a year since I initially started this thread and there's been no piercings or continuations of asking for her eyebrow pierced. I expect it will come again at some point, though.

• sugarland-girl
    16 years ago

I'm 26 so my high school days were not that long ago. I had my eyebrow peirced FOUR times!! Not all at the same time. I had it done so many times because my body rejected the peircing. The loop began to work it's way out of the skin. Gross!! Finally my last peircing was ripped out by my nephew and I never did it again. Where he ripped it out it took a chunck out of my eyebrow and the hair never grew back! The other peircing all left scars that you can still see today. Granted these other scars are hard to notice unless you know about them and are looking for them, but the chunk out of my eye brow is still just that, A CHUNCK OUT OF MY EYE BROW!!!! I love my parents for allowing to be my own person when I was a teenager, but I wish this was one they drew the line on! I'll never let my child get peircing of ANY kind (well maybe ears) or tatoos until their 18 and I don't have a choice anymore!!

• Jonesy
    16 years ago

I think it looks nasty, especially in the nose or mouth. It makes me wonder what's wrong with a person that does that. There was a report released that tongue piercing cause a medical problem, but can't remember what problem it caused.

I was at the Portland Rose Garden last year and saw a wedding taking place. My thought was what a pretty place to be married, then When I saw the bride I didn't notice her gown because every inch of her exposed body except her face was covered in tatoos. Lots of jokes and laughter in the crowd.

• newgardenelf
    16 years ago

I think YUCK!

• bella_enchanted
    16 years ago

Hello. I'm a bit uncertain about weather or not I should be leaving a comment, since I am only fourteen, but after reading some of these threads, I felt that I must. I stumbled across these posts, and was delighted. I am also fourteen, and desire a eyebrow piercing. I am a very responsible teenager. My parents comment on my excellent behavior often. I became very indignant when I saw many of you referred to piercings and tats as "mutilation". I apologize for this, but just who do you think you are? I realize that these are your opinions, but really? Who gave you the right to call it mutilation. I feel that unless you can at least understand what your beloved child is going through, you should not be so indignant to the idea. I happen to think it is attractive. And thats coming from a young woman who's father sticks his nose in the air at "punks", and others who are not labeled as "normal" in their appearance. And no, I am not rebelling. I love my parents deeply, and respect them with all my heart.
    Besides, if you raised your kids so perfectly then why are they rebelling against you, eh?

*I am sorry to those I offended, I feel that all these are valid points. You must first find your faults before you begin to point others faults out.

• popi_gw
    16 years ago

Well Ms Bella how nice to hear from you.

I think us oldies really loose touch with young people, sometimes, so its hard for us to be patient with the decisions that young people make. Its up to you to explain your position, in a calm voice, and come up with a good argument as to why you should be allowed to do such things.

I think in the case of my 15 year old...I can see the consequences of his dodgy decisions, so that is a reason why I would object. Hopefully I have more life experience and its my responsibility as a parent to protect my child.

Your parents should be really happy to have you as their daughter, you have come up with some good points.

Why would you want to get your eyebrow pierced ? Are YOU aware of the downsides to such a thing ? I don't mean to preach to you...I am just trying to understand your viewpoint.

Take care
    P

• bella_enchanted
    16 years ago

Popi, thank you for being understanding. I sure did not mean to come off as snide. (I have had issues with almost everyone believing that I cut myself and they said I was mutilating my body, though of course, I was not.)

I would like to get a eyebrow piercing because I think it looks pretty, and I like doing things that will make me look twice whenever I walk by a mirror. Some of my reasoning, yes, is for the attention I will undoubtedly get, but mostly for the way it makes me feel. It kinda feels cool and unique. HAHA...I say unique as if the five billion people with eyebrow piercings dont exist.

~Bellatrix

• sweeby
    16 years ago

I can understand your reasoning --
    But if you want something unique, why not get something that's actually unique? Instead of something that's popular in a certain circle in a certain way. Something that makes a rather 'predictable' statement of a type of individuality that isn't really individual at all?

"I feel that unless you can at least understand what your beloved child is going through, you should not be so indignant to the idea."
    You raise a good point here -- But what you're forgetting is that all of us here HAVE gone through adolescence. And for many of us (not me, but others), it wasn't all that long ago. We all know adolescence sucks. It just does. So maybe we do understand.

My younger brother dated a girl in high school who was fabulously different. She did things with her hair that no one else did -- shingle-cut, shaved head, mohawk, reverse mohawk, hot pink bangs, shaved all but a 'baby curl' on her forehead -- Now she was unique! And everybody loved her because she had the guts to be different - to really express herself. And the best part was that as she continued to grow and evolve, she could change it and change it again - which she did.
    With no permanent scars. Which is fortunate as she ended up marrying an international jet-setter and now lives in an honest-to-goodness castle, among other residences...

• bnicebkind
    16 years ago

bella enchanted: I think it is because most of us grasp that what one thinks is attractive at fourteen, can be very, very different at 18, 22, or 32, let alone 50, 60 or 70. I am referring mostly to tatoos, but certain piercings leave their own permanent after affects, especially those that alter the ear lobes in a radical way.

People grow and evolve and change. The permanent markings
    may be something you think is cool now, but may be an enormous source of embarrassment later, not only for you, but for children you may have one day. Sadly, the friends your child may one day desire, may be kids in a class whose parents don't get the look that represents "alternative" lifestyle. And it is those parents who often control "play dates" that can make your child feel included or excluded. And I understand that people should be able to see beyond that, but many don't. Keep in mind that many employers don't either, and it could limit future job options one day. Right now, you may love the "statement" they make about you. Remember, they continue to make a "statement" about you that one day may no longer fit who you evolve into. Trends change. People change. Friends change. The people you want to identify with today, may be very, very different later on... on this journey through life. If I were to pass on what I learned on this journey through life, it would be to give yourself room to evolve without limiting your ability to do so with permanent markings that will forever "identify" you and peg you as part of a certain group or culture, whether you are, or not.

If you want to make a statement, at least be unique. Dye your hair, find a style of clothing that "you" identify with that is uniquely yours, and not like everybody in a certain group or clique. But keep in mind, that being "unique" often has a price attached. A young girl I know dresses "one of a kind". She dreams up very unique outfits that draw attention to her and make her stand out. And yet, she often complains that she has no friends. That no one likes her. (she is beautiful, by the way). And I wonder if this need to stand out, is separating her somehow from those who would otherwise be a friend. If her clothes are standing in the way of friendships, leaving her lonely. Because if you are someone looking for attention by standing out, you must be aware that it can often have people snickering, or pointing, or feeling like that person always has to be the center of attention, and is always competing somehow for attention through what they wear.

Anyway, food for thought as you find your own way.

• bella_enchanted
    15 years ago

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
    First off, I just thought I would mention, I HAVE MY EYEBROW PIERCING!! I am most delighted with the result. :) And don't take me wrong, It took a month of effort on my part to convince my parents to let me get it. Conditions were made, many discussions held, and finally, they agreed. They would rather me be into this that sex or drugs. They said flat out "No!" in the beginning, but then my mother saw I was determined, I spent nearly five whole days on the computer doing research, and she in the end helped with my dad.

I realize that I may have limited my job offers, but it consoled me that when I arrived at my job (I babysit the children in my community), the mother that had employed me did not even notice, and I had my hair swept off my forehead to boot. Also, I have no desire to work for a large generic company, who wouldn't allow piercings. I would prefer something smaller. I have much interest in psychology, sociology and counseling. And I'm sure there are not many restrictions there.
    I also understand that this piercing is not the most original thing, but I like it. Which is all that matters in the end. People have had there various reactions, from "I don't care, to NOOOO!!! I have just let them have their opinions, and continue with my day, happy with my decision.

One thing though. WHY,oh why does EVERYONE think that being a teenager means going through hell?? Really, I don't get you people. No offense meant, but just because your adolescence was a pile of crap, does not give you the right to assume mine is.I am having a great time with my life.
    For Example: My parents have a loving healthy relationship even after 25 years, my sister is a fun, bubbly person with a functional boyfriend/ soon to be finance. Also, I play guitar, take kick boxing, am going to be taking ballet, and ballroom dance, AND I love it all. Yes, we may be poor, I may have my moments of depression, and yeah, I even have the wrath of a group of cruel teenage girls upon me, but I think it pretty much evens out in the end.

I apologize for my writing above, but thats how it is. I get very upset whenever people tell me anything like, "I know what your going through, being a teenager is really horrid!" And believe me, I get that allot! I honestly mean to offense. Last but not least, try to get to know people before you judge them. I may have dyed black hair, five piercings, almost all black clothing, but you would never guess from that, that I would take Ballet and ballroom dance, would you?
    Sincerely, Bella

• sue36
    15 years ago

My sister (who is very "hip") commented to me the other day that many in the current teenage generation seem to try to look as bad as possible (this coming from someone who did some pretty crazy things to herself in high school). And I agree. Dreadlocks, ugly piercings, tattoos, really unattrative and unflattering clothing, "goth", etc. My niece, my sister's girl, is the same (eyebrow piercing, horrible hair color, unflattering clothes), she's a beautiful girl that seems to try to look as bad as possible. I don't understand it. It seems to be a cry for attention - "look at me!". Or is it insecurity? Or am I wrong?

Just be aware that people are building their first impression of you partially on how you look. There are very few people who think an eyebrow piercing contributes positively to a first impression.

• bella_enchanted
    15 years ago

Are you suggesting that goth is unattractive or ugly? Or are you simply so close minded that you cant see how we find it fun to dress differently? My hair is dyed, my eyebrow pierced and I dress differently, so by your post, I am trying to look ugly? We just want to look different is all. Were just going by how we LIKE to look, which, as I have said before, is all that matters.

• sue36
    15 years ago

I'm not suggesting it, I'm saying it. Yes, I think Goth is ugly. That does not mean I think the person is ugly, I think people are beautiful as they are, with their real skin tone and hair, without black lipstick. I think Goth hides someone's natural beauty. I'm not close minded, I realize it may be "fun".

And I don't believe being a teenager means going through hell. That experience is not familiar to me. I hear about all the stress and angst that many (most?) current teenagers seem to go through and I don't get it, it just wasn't part of my experience. My sister did go through it and I wonder how much of it she brought on herself because she wanted to be "unique". Mohawk, piercings (only ears were done back then), etc. She has evolved in the last 20 years (haven't we all) and now seems embarassed by how she looked back then. She is a beautiful woman and she hid her beauty with ugliness for years, even she will admit this. She was insecure and stressed out and her "costume" was a way to hide. I'm not saying that is the case with you.

• bella_enchanted
    15 years ago

I suppose its all a matter of opinion. I happen to dress all black, or gothic to people who don't realize its a subculture, not a way to dress, and no one has a problem with it. That is, everyone thinks it looks really good. Some things, yeah, can be overly done, but eyebrow piercings should be the least of your worries. Try looking up corset piercings, now those would hurt. I feel no need to take up a costume in which to hide behind, I'm happy with who I am.In any case this discussion has gone way off subject, and to finish it up, I like the way it looks, feels, and is, and I think you should let your daughter do it if she still wants.

• popi_gw
    15 years ago

I am all for individuality BUT we all live in a society where we all have to conform to a certain extent.

So...if you want to work as a judge in a court...you cannot dress like a goth.

But...if you want to work as a youth consellor perhaps dressing like a goth, or having piercings, or tatoos, is a great way to relate to your clients.

My son, 15, dresses in black, and has recently started wearing army boots, with jeans tucked in...and has added some chains hanging down from his belt. I suggested he looked a bit threatening to people and he might attract some flak from other youth, or even adults. He is aware of that, but still went out dressed like that. I know he is a lovely gentle boy...but others might think he is a bit tough !!

But I am supportive of his right to be an individual...if you take that away from people, you stifle creativity.

This is the boy, who had dreadlocks a while ago...the school phoned me and told me he had to get them cut off. He wasn't very happy about that !

Go with the flow...

Popi

• newgardenelf
    15 years ago

I think bella said it best herself- it isn't just a way to dress it is a subculture and that can be frightening to parents who don't understand and/or don't support those beliefs/values, etc. It isn't fair but it is life- the first thing we see is what is on the outside and sometimes that prevents people from going any further.

• bella_enchanted
    15 years ago

Thank you popi and newgardenelf.
    Popi, see, thats just the thing. I realize what kind of world we live in, and I make it a point not to conform. Not to say that I go against it, just that I make sure to be 100% ME. Even if some of that seems to fit under "conforming". Which, lemme tell you is real hard. I cried my eyes out today because I was sick of people trying to get me to act more "normal". But can I help it? I have this whole thing against some points of society, like how we portray the perfect woman and how being sexy is THE way to go. I feel that a nice woman in jeans and a slim t-shirt is more attractive than the snotty woman in a miniskirt, tank, and stilettos. Anyway, I could argue with someone for hours about that. I am in love with the gothic look. I may change, I may not. I think we should all just be ourselves, at all costs.
    Newgardenelf, thank you. Wouldn't it be nice if we all tried to look past the outside?

• patinoen_shu_edu
    15 years ago

Hey all, I stumbled on this page and had to put in my two cents. First of all, its unfair to generalize and categorize according to personal preference. Categorizing based on race and sexual preference is prejudice whereas judging because of a piercing is acceptable? That is simply not congruent. I am I pre-law, political science and economics double major at a respectable university. I have held numerous positions in student government and participated in extra intellectual clubs and organizations. And 'lindac' Id like you to know that I am going to law school and also have three piercings, a half sleeve of tattoos, a ribcage tattoo, and I had dyed hair. I get where you parents are coming from, im goal oriented and realize that I need to hide my ink and piercings on interviews, but the point im making is that it IS possible to hide them! Try to be more open minded, with the good parenting that you all seem to exhibit im sure your kids will turn out fine- I did.

Btw- many of you seem to be stuck with a very old-fashioned view of the corporate/professional world, my very distinguished poly-sci advisor who was a lawyer for years also has his nose pierced =p. Piercings are growing in terms of acceptability as the younger generations flood the workplace.

• silversword
    15 years ago

Good topic! When I was 15 I wanted a tattoo. My dad said I could as long as it was tasteful, fit under a quarter and could be hidden by a bikini. (thank you Dad, for letting me do it, yet setting boundaries!) I still love my little butterfly, and I think nostalgically about the 15 year old girl I was and the symbolism of me coming out of my cocoon. I got another one, a "tramp stamp" if you will, the last time I went to Tahiti. I love it too, and get compliments on it when I choose to show people. It too, fits under my bikini. In essence, I can go out and not be judged but my art is there for me and those whom I choose to show it to.

I got a belly piercing at 17, took it out at 24 to have my daughter, and put it back in at 27. I enjoy it, but sometimes do wish I hadn't gotten it because the hole will always be there.

I also have five holes in my ears, two when I was three (I wanted them, my parents didn't inflict it on me... a whole different subject is that I hate it when parents pierce babies. Gross, unnecessary pain inflicted on a tiny baby who didn't have a choice!) I got the second holes at 13 with my dad. I got the last hole in my left ear at 15.

Although I wore my combat boots and long skirts, black nail polish, black fishnets and stockings that we burned holes in with our cigarettes, dyed my hair and generally acted rebellious I was a pretty good kid. I graduated from college and live a pretty "straight" life. Upon looking at me now, people are shocked to hear I have two tattos and a belly ring "but you look so innocent and mainstream!".

My suggestion? Have children do research. Go to different tattoo parlors and have them look at the work that is being done. Piercings, tattoos, etc. Have them talk to people who are covering up ugly tattoos, or look at older people with a big blur of ink on their bodies. They could end up with a scar there. That can be a scary deterrant. Talk to them about whether or not they'd do it again...

They have pretty good removable earrings/noserings/bellyrings and tattoos now. Buy one of them so they can see how it looks and experiment. They are the ones who will have to live with their decisions.

When I see a "goth" kid walk by I smile. How wonderful that they are experimenting with who they are. When I see a big flock of Abercrombie and Fitch clones walk by I see it as they are too afraid to take risks. Yes, goth is not original. But no two kids are wearing the same studded necklaces and black shirts. It's all individual.

And they will grow out of it, most of them. I think a large majority of the goth adults are ones who weren't allowed the freedom to choose as young adults.

Make sure she has done research. Make sure she understands fully what she is doing. Then let her go.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Since starting this thread so long ago this is the first time I really feel motivated to disagree.

I don't feel like just because anyone wishes to dress in Abecrombie and Fitch... or preppie... doesn't make them "too afraid to take risks".

Oh, and to update.... DD has still not gotten her eyebrow pierced, or even asked to. She still wears black shirts, but has moved on to something other than plain black pants. She's into those black/red striped skinny jeans and blue leopard skinny pants. Soooo much better than plain ole black.

• bnicebkind
    15 years ago

Hi moonie! Very worthwhile thread you started a while back, and a worthwhile read for anyone interested in the subject!

Anyhow, I knew if I sat back, that someone would call silversword on the statment that people wearing the Abercrombie & Fitch (or classic/preppy clothing) show themselves to be people afraid to take risks. Huh? Risk taking is a personality trait. I would imagine that many into extreme sports that we see on television, (talk about risk takers) may be walking around in real life in a tee-shirt and jeans day to day. And I would imagine that there are many Goth's whose risk taking does not extend past heading to the local mall for black nail polish and black goth clothing.

And I will take it further as silversword stated that those into Goth style are "individuals".

Sorry, I don't buy it. Both groups are wearing the exterior trappings of the group they wish to fit in and identify with. Neither is original, and not particularly risk taking. Both are following trends...whatever the trend is of those they want as friends.

Now if you really want to be individual, choose a style no one wears. Say jeans with a 10 inch zipper! Come up with a unique style that fits in with no group, per say. Now you are an individual, and perhaps venturing into risk taking, if you consider buying and wearing something something "NO One" wears.

I am smiling as I write this.

• silversword
    15 years ago

Sorry, to clarify: by risks I meant "risking" going outside mainstream with their clothing choices, not their behavior.

I still think, since goth is not mainstream, that those who choose to wear it are taking a risk to be different. I said that it's not original (not anymore, anyway) but it is still different from those who are following the consumerism of wearing the latest trends.

Goth kids/those with rings/tattoos get called/considered sluts/degenerates much faster than those who are wearing little schoolgirl outfits.

Actually, benicebekind, I didn't say goth kids are "individuals". What I said was "How wonderful that they are experimenting with who they are... Yes, goth is not original. But no two kids are wearing the same studded necklaces and black shirts. It's all individual." By that I meant they put their outfit together, they didn't buy it all pre-made.

• jmack_904
    15 years ago

hey everyone!
    i stumbled upon this page and thought i'd share what i thought in case the original poster was still looking back or torn about the eyebrow piercing.
    im not conservative at all and encourage any form of originality that anyone wishes to pursue. that being said, if i were you, i would tell your daughter to wait 2-4 years and if she still wanted a piercing, you would talk about it again. chances are, she wont wait it. i dont want the same things i wanted when i was 14. . . and i dont know many people who do.
    also, if she does have a facial piercing/visible tattoo when she is interviewing at colleges it will probably count against her. just because piercings and tattoos are out of the norm. colleges judge you by your interview/application and they wont take the time to get to know your daughter after the first impression. with colleges becoming more and more competetive, everyone applying needs all the help they can get.

and as to the goth vs prep thing with originality. . . neither is original. its just clothing. and 9 times out of 10 the way your child dresses will most likely be affected by what their friends dress like/what their favorite tv character/band wears. its less to do with originality and more to do with admiration. if you really want to consider your child original guide them to something artistic. no one ever paints, photographs, or composises the same thing. people do wear the same abercrombie shorts, hollister shirt, black t-shirt, studded necklace, etc. with all due respect of course.

• Matilda G
    last year

I say let her do it. I'm 13. When I turn 14 I want an eyebrow pericing. Our face, is not who we are. Our face is a mix of our parents genes. Sometimes we have to change things about ourselves to recognize ourselves better. Ther eis a difference between body and mind. There are worse ways she could be expressing herself.

Sponsored