SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kara_pa

? for you urban mamas on carseats & buses

Kara_PA
22 years ago

My mom's school has a field trip coming up to the Baltimore Acquarium. There's extra space, and she invited us along so that we could take DS. It sounds like a great idea, except that it's a bus trip, and I have no idea what you do about car seats.

He'll be 22 months when/if we go (in April), so he's obviously still using a convertible seat. I'm not even sure whether buses (this one will be a tour/coach bus) have seatbelts! There is NO public transportation where we live ... not even taxis! And since I haven't been on a bus since long before I was pregnant, I never even though to pay attention to it.

Can we go -- safely?

Comments (3)

• aileen
    22 years ago

Buses usually don't have seat belts. So you may have to hold him the entire time. He will be safe,,,,if the bus doesn't have an accident. If the bus is in an accident, even with a seat belt there is no assurance that he would escape injury.

So, what it boils down to is how much do you wnat to risk the bus having problems? He will probably be as safe as he would be in your own car.

What would worry me more is how long is the trip? Is he going to get tired and cranky? Would a whining fretful toddler upset the others? Would he stay in a stroller? would you have to carry him? And don't forget the problems with the potty and/or diapers.

It would be a nice day out for you or it could be a terribly tiresome time for both of you. He might have a great time, but at that age, he probably won't remember it long.

If it is just going to be for a couple of hours, I would say go for it. More than that, I would wait until the last minute to make a decision.

• MauiSG
    22 years ago

Kara, in case you didn't know...the aquarium doesn't allow strollers inside. My grandmother lives in Baltimore and we went there one day with my 4 yr. old daughter & 2 yr. old twin sons in a stroller. They will let you use baby-back-packs but Granny being 70+ at the time, I knew there was no way she could 'carry' one of the boys. Even though they could walk, it takes at least 45-60 minutes to speed thru and they would have been too tired and too short to see much. It is a wonderful place to go and you'll just love it, especially if it isn't crowded.

• Mommabear
    22 years ago

Could you drive in your own car? I live in an urban area, but we never use buses.

Mommabear

Sponsored