SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kclv

travel sports problems

kclv
17 years ago

Hi everyone.

I usually frequent the home forums, but I am frustrated about my sons' travel sports teams, and I need input from other sports parents.

Both my sons, aged 16 and 14, play travel hockey. We live in a southwest city where hockey is not too popular, so playing the sport involves a lot of travel, and the cost of ice time is very high.

I do understand that our commitment to the team involves travelling and missing the occasional school day for regular league play, but the coaches tend to schedule extra tournaments without asking the parents beforehand. I feel that this is wrong. Anything extra outside of regular league play should be voted on by the parents. After all, these are our kids, and we are the ones paying for everything.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

I have tried to tell the team mom that we need to vote on these things, but she defers to the coach. We are going to an east coast tournament in April one week after spring break. We were told about this in December after the non-refundable deposit was sent. The majority of parents are less than enthusiastic about the trip, and if a vote had been taken beforehand, I doubt we would be going. This has had a snowball effect, as the season ended on Sunday, but we have to schedule extra practice time, and trips to stay in shape for April.

I am so frustrated. I tried to tell the team mom that the majority of parents are tapped out and don't want any extra trips, but she just says the coach wants the boys to "stay sharp", because they have a good chance of winning in April.

Comments (11)

Sponsored