Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scheduling the 'TALK' (s)

Posted by grignon (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 6, 06 at 15:26

My son's are growing up-9 1/2 and 7. I've always been honest about reproductive issues that have come up (fathers contribute half the seed to make a baby; babies come out of the mother's vagina, not her butt) but haven't addressed any of the explicit details of anatomy, copulation or the most difficult of all, the emotional complexities.
I'd like to hear how other's have approached sex education, their success and what they'd do different (and why).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scheduling the 'TALK' (s)

I have always kept an open dialogue with my kids. It's so much easier to discuss these matters at a younger age than when they are 11 and up. By then they are not so receptive. I use almost any opportunity to talk. Seeing people hug. TV shows that bring up "adult" issues. I once explained what a foreskin is to my daughter after watching "Meet the Fockers" with my young teen kids.

As my kids entered 5th grade, the subject of "the movie" came up. I had to sign a permission slip. So I went out and found appropriate books for both kids and looked them over. I have a girl and a boy. The books were good about discussing the basics of boy/girl love and sex and BC and feelings etc. but were lacking in values discussion. So I did that part. About treating one's own and others' sexuality with reverence and waiting, etc. I purchased a book for my son called "What's Going On Down There?" I liked the tone and the content.

My kids are 13 and 15, I don't know the results of my approach quite yet!

o

Is "Fockers" a minced oath?

o

I have no opinion on "Fockers." You'll have to ask the writers. Here is a link to the movie site. It was a sequel to "Meet the Parents." It ended up being a bit more ribald than the first movie, which surprised me but also offered ample opportunity to discuss adult sexuality and values.

Here is a link that might be useful: Movie.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here