SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_in_tn

Experience with lipoma?

Stephanie_in_TN
22 years ago

yesterday I noticed a strange lump on DS's back (the 5 y/o). It seemed large for to not have noticed it before this. It's a little bigger around than a quarter and raised about 3/4" from his back. It's hard but loose, it moves a little when pushed, not like it's stuck to a bone. There is no bruise associated with it, DS says it hurts just a little when touched, but hasn't complained about it. It was a fluke that I was looking at his back closely.

So not wasting any time, I called the doc today (our first visit with the new pediatrician since the move). His diagnosis is a lipoma, benign fatty deposit. But he said it should still be removed and referred me to a sugeon (mom gasps). Now I'm waiting to hear on the time/date for the surgeon apt. to confirm this and the need for sugeory. But the ped. says it will probably have to be removed to confirm that's what it is and that it is benign.

I'm sure it'll be nothing. Still, surgeory on my little guy! Ugh! My FIL had one of these a few years ago, the doc says they are very rare in children. So can I blame my FIL for this? Just kidding.

I'm rambling cuz I'm a little nervous. DS doesn't seem to care. He really doesn't understand that it has to be cut out. I know that'll freak him out.

ANy knowledge or experience to share would do a mom good right now (as long as it's good news, don't tell me scary stories right now, ok).

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!