Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What colleges still offer same sex dorms?

Posted by bnicebkind (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 27, 11 at 13:48

I am wondering what colleges (in the south east) still offer same sex dorms? I understand several colleges are now offering/assigning co-ed dorms, and some are even beginning to offer/assign co-ed rooms.

So which ones still offer same sex dorms?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What colleges still offer same sex dorms?

Colleges started making dorms co-ed in the late '60's, when they ended in loco parentis.

You'll certainly find single sex dorms at places like Bob Jones University, and it's ilk (rabidly moralistic schools), and probably some schools in Utah.

You'll need to ask, though, because some schools may offer a single-sex dorm as an option, but not in loco parentis.

If a child doesn't have good values and good sense when they go off to college, who they live near in the dorm isn't going to matter much.

Good luck

o

What an insane concept...I think kids will learn to adjust to different social issues better in a mixed dorm.

I went to an engineering school (RPI) in the mid-80's and it was about 80-85% male....so all the dorms were all male except for the couple of co-ed dorms. The private all-girl school downtown obviously had "all girl" dorms. I can't tell you how many nights I woke up down there ;-)

And maybe if we had girls in our dorms, we would have smoke less pot, drank less beer and showered more often....

I would strongly discourage either my son or daughter from living in a same-sex dorm when the are ready to go off to school.

o

Texas State in San Marcos TX has some same-sex dorms.

o

Are you the student or the parent in this situation?

Either way, the MOST important thing about chosing a college should be to find the school that offers the best preparation for the career the child wants to pursue.

If you're the student, I'd recommend that you discuss your preferences with your guidance counselor. He or she will be able to help you find a school that's right for you.

If you're the parent? I'd have to say you're walking on a very dangerous line. When we try to micromanage our grown (and legally, 18 is adult) children's lives, we're likely to completely push them away. Do that enough and they may never find their way back. Also, I refer back to what I said first--getting a good and appropriate education, one that will provide the tools needed to be a success in the field the student wishes to pursue is the really important thing when choosing a school. If you attempt to limit your child to schools that offer same sex dorms, you may close the door to them going to a good school that would offer a much better education. You may find they are so unhappy at school that they don't finish. You may find they resent your rules so much, they will not want anything to do with you.

Never forget, the goal of parenting is to make our job obsolete. We teach them when they're young, SO THAT when they are grown they can make good choices on their own, without us directing every decision. I don't know about you, but I do NOT want to still be raising my daughter when she's 40 and I'm 70. Look, if you'd done a good job of teaching your child, they'll do the right thing. And if they don't? Well, making mistakes and learning how to rectify them is also an important part of the learning process.

o

I just love the lectures, grin

Try posting on Collegeconfidential.com, you'll get lots of truly useful info there, real answers. I linked to the 'College Search' sub forum. I'd start there.

Here is a link that might be useful: College Confidential

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here