SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freezetag

Gloomy, tearful 10 yo boy!

freezetag
16 years ago

My son (10 1/2) is having a rough year. He is frequently gloomy, and less social than before. He'll play with his friends if they ask, but never initiates it like he used to. He had some trouble in the beginning of the school year - his teacher told me that he was constantly irritating / distracting the other kids in his class. She never caught him, but many kids who sat next to him asked to be moved. She sat him off by himself, which she said she hates to do, but he said he's happy with it, his grades have improved (straight A's for the first time ever) so that's where he is for now.

He played football, but was bullied a little by the other boys (shoving, name-calling) so it was a relief when the season was over. He's playing basketball now and doing well.

But things are bad at home. We can't criticize or reprimand him without him becoming extremely upset, stomping off and accusing us of never listening. He has extended crying jags, which can last more than an hour. And, for lack of a better word, temper tantrums. A couple of weeks ago, he'd had a bad day and wasn't allowed to go to a friend's house. That night, I sent him to his room for some minor annoyance, and he laid doubled up in the hall and screamed that his stomach hurt, for a couple of hours. And a couple of days ago, after being disappointed that I wasn't able to take him to basketball practice, he "fell" getting out of his seat in the van and laid there screaming that his arm was stuck. Both times, I felt horrible ignoring him, but, having seen this behavior before, I knew he was fine (which he was).

Is he attention-starved? Maybe - there's never enough to go around. He is obviously way too old to be having temper tantrums, but still does occasionally, despite being ignored.

I made an appointment with a family therapist - I just feel scared that there is something terribly wrong with him and wish I knew how to help. My other three kids are so much easier to deal with - just typical kids problems that lots of other kids have. Anyone else with a "drama queen" son? I would be less surprised if it was one of my girls - is it possible that boys' hormones can make them unbalanced?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor