Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Doctor's office advice

Posted by AdellaBedella (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 6, 05 at 11:56

I was reminded of this yet again when I took my 3 sick kids to the doctor's office this week.

If you don't want your kids to catch an illness they didn't already have when they came in, do not let your kids play with the toys or unneccessarily touch things like the chairs in the doctor's office. Don't let your kids play with the other kids in the office even if you have to be a big meany and tell other kids to stay away.

No one ever warned me, I think that's where ds #1 caught RSV when he was 7 months old because I let him pull up and walk around furniture. My friend's child got hand, foot, and moth disease from another child whose mommy let her come over and play. Yet another friend's baby got sick because while he was there for a well baby checkup a grandma told her sick grandchild to go play with the well baby.

If anyone has any other advice or comments feel free to add it here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Doctor's office advice

Good advice. My doctor's office has 2 waiting areas a "sick" area and a "well" area, but many parents annoyingly ignore the signs. I see them clean the waiting areas often, which is nice.

My doctor also suggests that kids and parents wash their hands as soon as they are shown to the examining room. Each room has a sink where the doctors wash and the patients can do the same.

o

Oh, doesn't it just make you mad? We have a weekly play group and two weeks ago went to a local children's museum. Great, except there were at least a handful of kids there who were coughing their lungs out, etc. etc. I can't believe the parents who let their kids go out with other kids, touching stuff, etc. when they're obviously sick. We're just getting over a cold - I'm tired of being sick!

At the doctor's office, I've noticed how disgusting the toys look. I wish they would throw them out. We don't really have a "sick" or "well" area in our office but when David was a newborn they had me sit in an office while we waited, which was nice. I'll remember next time not to let him touch anything!

o

Try being a preschool teacher! It's amazing how many parents will try to send their children to school with green discharge coming from the nose, or bad coughs, sneezes, etc. I cannot stress enough that sick children need to be at home.

Now in a doctor's office, that's a challenge. I remember taking my children to the ped. when they were younger and keeping them away from obviously sick children. It's so frustrating to take your children for "well-checks" and then they get "unwell" a few days later!

o

My pediatrician had 2 different waiting rooms--well and sick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here