SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whazzup_fl

Caller ID and Paranoia

whazzup
22 years ago

I don't know if this is the proper forum, but I will give it a go. Recently I received a phone call from a stranger. When I answered the phone, a lady said "someone from this phone just called my house." And I told her, "No, ma'm, I think you must have the wrong number because nobody from this phone number called you." She insisted that "this number is on my caller ID and someone from this number did most CERTAINLY call my home." Her tone was very rude! I was totally mystified and again assured her that there must be some mistake. An argument ensued, if you can believe that, with her insisting that her caller ID said so and she wanted to know who I was! I told her that if someone from my house called then it must have been a mistake. She insisted on knowing who I was, but I ended up hanging up on her because I didn't see any reason to tell this rude stranger my name. Anyway, later I remembered that four of five hours earlier that day, I had accidentally hit the redial button on the phone when calling a friend of mine. The phone rang two or three times before I realized my mistake and hung up. Turns out that the number I had accidentally dialed belongs to one of my sons friends. I don't know why she was so insistent that I tell her my name, but she was definitely very angry! So now I am wondering... maybe she is suspicious that her husband is cheating??? She was so darn rude and paranoid that I am wondering if I want my son visiting at her wacky house! Do most people freak out and obsess about phone numbers on their caller ID? I have caller ID and I see unfamiliar numbers on it all the time. I never give them another thought and I certainly have never called an unidentified number back to find out who it was... does this seem strange to you? I probably would have identified myself if she hadn't gone off the deep end so quickly and started getting upset and raising her voice.

Comments (16)

Sponsored