Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kids drinking

Posted by tracystoke (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 10:11

well im still fuming from last night,i reckon this is a great way to let off steam.my ex who is the father of my 3 and 5 year old kids sister came to see her nephew and neice last night and we were talking and she says oh" annas at a party"anna is her daughter, the same age as my eldest 14, she says ive told her not to come home drunk,i was like, pardon, doesnt that bother you ,she says" trace she is nearly 15",well we got in to a big bebate and she reckons if you dont let your kids taste alcholol then they will be curious and find out the wrong way,she even bought her daughter smirnoff ice and said to me its not full vodka.this woman is normal and works as a teacher, am i over reacting ,dya know what thow i looked at my 14 year old this morning and said to her "im so proud of you"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kids drinking

Underage drinking is a huge problem here in Australia.

I have met parents who gave their children grog, when they were too young, even my own brother was giving his young children sips of beer. I was horrified.

My children are adults now, so my problems with this issue have been resolved with them growing up, unscathed.

But my brother's child did end up in hospital with alcohilic poisoning when she was 24.

I blame marketing, our culture of going to the pub, and the prevalence of alcopops, spirits mixed with soft drinks, to make them appealing to young people.

Don't make it a big issue just gentle prodding about the bad side of liquor.

o

I think 14 is far too young to be drinking .Im desgusted by it .I cant beleive any parent would buy drink for their kids,im not gonna make a big issue out of it but if i smelt drink on my daughter then she would be in big trouble.

o

Here's the thing--if a parent does their job and forbids various behaviors (teen drinking, teen sex, etc)--yes, there's a chance the kids will try it anyway BUT they WILL know they're doing wrong, they will (possibly) be more careful because they don't want to be found out, and so forth.

When a parent permits and promotes behavior that is unhealthy, illegal, and dangerous all the barriers are removed. The kids have no reason at all to be careful.

Also, the parent is putting the entire household at risk--they can be charged, the kids taken away and put in fostercare, they could lose everything.

I, too, am disgusted and saddened to hear that a child is being put in this situation.

I guess the question is--what are you going to do about this? Are you going to sit back, close your eyes, and allow this child to be victimized by her parent? Or are you going to document the situation and make sure the authorities protect this child since her mother is unwilling to?

o

Erm ,im gonna do absolutly nothing about it ,i couldnt care less about any of his family so they can do what they want.I was only fuming because i couldnt beleive this woman could buy her child alchohol, not because i care about them.

o

Well there are all sorts of irresponsible parents in the world. We can just learn from it and makes sure we do things the right way.

I did confront a parent slapping a small child in the shops and yelling at him, the child was sobbing it was really terrible. I told him to stop - but I was upset, it would have been better if I had been in control of my emotions !

o

I'm a little confused--if you don't care about any of them, and don't--as you claim--care about your niece, then what got you so angry about this? Seems to me, in that case, you'd have been laughing over it (inappropriately, but still...)

Honestly? I think you'd benefit greatly by sitting down and really figuring out why this incident angered you so. I don't think you're being honest with yourself here.

And as a teacher myself, let me just add that it's ALL our responsibility to look out for children who are at risk, especially when their parents aren't doing that for them. In most states, it's the law to report ANY incident of child abuse and neglect--this definitely qualifies. If you truly don't want to help, you'd be very wise NOT to memorialize the fact that you're aware of the situation on the internet--for your own sake, so you don't end up risking prosecution (it may not be likely, but when you admit to doing something illegal on the 'net, you never know where the situation will go in years to come).

o

Azzalea, tracystoke is from the UK where the laws may not be the same.

o

check out the uk law kids can drink at that age if adults are about,i was angry because i wouldnt let my kids drink and also she is not my neice and your post is just stupid,i dont know what you mean im not being honest with myself ,i didnt post it because i had a problem i just wanted to see if anyone gives their kids booze that was all

o

Then, again, I think it might be best to refrain from calling others "stupid" until after you, yourself, become able to write coherently. Rather takes away from the gravity of the insult, don't you think?

o

"Then, again, I think it might be best to refrain from calling others "stupid" until after you, yourself, become able to write coherently. Rather takes away from the gravity of the insult, don't you think?"

Amen to that!

o

My mother grew up in the UK, and she was 16 when she went to the pub with her parents, quite regularly. She was allowed to have a shandy (lemonade, mixed with beer). This was back in the 1940's, a long time ago. But it just goes to show the attitudes of the time.

It is a different world now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here