SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coolmama_gw

A Rock and a hard place

coolmama
17 years ago

You all may already be sick of me and my problems,but WELCOME TO MY LIFE.

I find out from husband today,that his sister is probably going to jail in a month or two.She has her third DUI amongst other charges.

She wants my husband and I to take temporary custody of her 5 year old son for the duration of which she will be in jail.Could be anywhere from a couple of months to up to 2 years!

We cant be THAT bad of parents considering everyone we know always wants to leave their kids with us.

My sister left her 6 year old son with us for about the whole summer give or take a few days...so I feel like I cant say no.

I also feel sorry for the child.he has been moved around alot,doesnt know his dad at all,and his mom has been unstable to say the least.

I'm just not sure we can do this.Besides the obvious money issue of caring for another child,there are other things to consider.

1) The child barely knows us

2) Our place is small,he'd have to share a room with our (as of today) 9 year old daughter.(thankfully we do have bunk beds)

3) He would have to be enrolled in school and everything,which brings up a whole new list of how to's.

He seems like a very nice child,and I feel horrible for him.

I'm just not sure this is what we really need right now...

But sister-in-law says we are the only ones she can trust.

Her other brother is an alcoholic and in no way capable of even caring for himself,much less a kid.

Her mom is pretty crazy and has an abusive husband.Their dad she doesnt even talk to,and he probably wouldnt do it either.

So we are the only sane option for this child.

My sister-in-law can be manipulative,and we have had our battles...But I always manage to feel sorry for her.Like my husband,she hasnt had an easy life.

I also worry "what if she never comes back for him?"

Most of you have read my posts,you know how crazy my life already is.What would you do if you were put in this position?

My heart says help the poor child.My head says,how in the hell are we going to be able to do this?

Comments (14)

Sponsored