Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on Babysitting rates...

Posted by haylee (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 29, 07 at 0:59

I'm a 21 year old from Indiana, and I have been asked to babysit my bosses children...(a 3 month old and a 1 1/2 year old) It would only be 2 days a week from 10am-5pmish. I'm really not sure how much to charge them...I'm really happy to do it but I still want to make it worth my time! Please email me if you have any ideas...thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on Babysitting rates...

Hello Haylee

Have you any experience ?
Huge responsibility looking after two babies, so in my mind you should be well paid.

I can't give you any more idea, as I am in Australia, and I think the hourly rate would be different.

Aim high.

Popi

o

I don't know what you do for this person that makes him/her your boss, but I would suggest you not accept this babysitting job. It changes your relationship with this person and it can lead to all sorts of problems for you (not your boss, that's the perk of being a boss!)

A job creates a professional relationship, babysitting is much more personal. It will cause problems for you at your "other" job with this person, and can make your life very, very complicated. If you insist on going ahead, then you should expect to be paid at least what they already pay you.

They can certainly find someone else to babysit. Good luck and be careful.

o

That's not babysitting....that's being a nanny.
I certainly can understand your boss wanting someone he/she knows to look after his/her children and think it is great of you to be willing to do this. I see no problems.
As for what to charge? I am in a small midwest town and pay my cleaning lady $15 an hour...
Surely you should have as much...unless there will be a long period of naps in the day.
I would say you should get between $150 and $200 a week.
Linda C

o

momj47 makes some very good points.This COULD complicate matters at your other job. If it were me,I dont think I'd do it if I liked my other job.

o

I just babysitted last night and received less than I would've liked and I'm just wondering if $8 an hr is fair. There are three kids ages 7 months, 2, and 3. I basically just had to feed the kids, entertain them, and put them to bed. But since there is 3 and a baby it is difficult to juggle all of them. I'm a college student in San Antonio, Tx and the cost of living isn't as high as where I am from so I don't know if I should even mention the pay to the family.

o

dillydally -- I think $8 is way fair. If I had to pay that much I can guarantee you that I would hardly ever go out. Just think that it is more money than you would have made staying home to watch Desperate Housewives.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here