Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clubbed feet?

Posted by Mrs_H (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 8, 02 at 0:01

As DH and I are debating on when to start trying to get PG, I am wondering how many parents have had babies with clubbed feet (or had it themselves)? I was born with both clubbed, my dad had one. What are they doing to correct it now? Just curious. You never hear about it.

A lady I used to work with had a daughter with a clubbed foot; she said when she'd take baby out in public she'd get nasty comments from people about the cast on her foot, as if the mother did it! I would slap someone if they said that about my baby. My dad still tears up when we talk about it, he still feels "guilty"! :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clubbed feet?

This page has great parent links. The information is very readable, and understandable.

http://www.vh.org/Patients/IHB/Ortho/Peds/Clubfeet/Clubfeet.html

This page is a much more technical one for orthopedists. It can still be informative. It also has a numbered list of errors in treatment decisions, and how they can be corrected and/or why they don't work.
http://www.vh.org/Providers/Textbooks/Clubfoot/Clubfoot.html

I thought I knew someone who had it, but it turned out they just had metatarsus adductus and not a true 'clubbing.'

P.S. People see babies in casts, or bandages and tend to feel very 'protective' even if they have no clue about the cause of the problem. Sometimes that leads to a lack of tact and jumping to the worst of incorrect conclusions. For parents, it can be a lesson in how to develop a thicker skin. And, every so often someone will ask nicely 'what happened?' or 'how long will your baby need a cast?' and are actually open to new information or any teaching/education you can provide.

o

Amygdala,

Thank you for the links. They were very informative! It sounds like Dr. Ponseti strictly does only casts without surgery. I had corrective surgery (1974-5) and went for weekly orthopedic visits for ever. My mother would also do manipulations with me up until I was maybe grade school age. I used to have horrible foot cramps during this time but nothing since. I do have that tell tale scar up the back of both calves. The only thing I can't do is ice skate.

Thanks again for the links. I hope to hear from more parents to see what they are doing.

o

I know Shriner's hospitals do corrective surgery for children with this and many other problems. I, myself, had to have spinal surgery. They do it totally free of charge.

o

wow im happy to hear about this.my dd was born with a mild case of it 5 years ago.her dads dad had it really bad.she had cast on from day 5 tell 3 months then back on again at 4 monthes tell she was 10 months then had sergy at 18 months.it was very horrible for her and me.it wore me out trying to keep them clean in the middle of summer and she didnt get to do nothing like the other kids,no cute socks or tights or playing in the water.everything was delaed due to the cast.not being able to roll over and walk,urg.i creid alot sometimes thought it was my fault for some reason,lol.i had a great doctor tell this day she still sees every 6 months for a check up.the suregry was horrible also.it went very will but she had cast again heaver ones and pins two in each foot.the pain for her was bad since the pins moved and one came all the way out,ouch.alot of medicine for the pain.all she could do was watch tv,she was so chubby,lol.my second dd was lucky and didnt get it,im was so happy because i said if it where to happen again i would not do the cast and just wait tell suregry.the cast took my dd baby time and made it horrible for both her and me.her doctor said the shoes dont work very well so he said no to that.i just want to tell everyone be stronge about it all its very hard and the looks are horrible some people thought her feet where broken or some new about it and where shes so cute.im glad its all over and now she only has small scares that we tell her thats where the doctor made her feet better and she thinks that neat:)

o

Hi mom2girls,

I'm glad your daughter has progressed well! I'm sure it was a very trying time for my mom too but we made it through. I was hoping to get some more responses about it since I hear almost nothing about it anymore. I used to crack my casted feet on our wooden floors, driving parents crazy...kick my casts off all the time...basically the surgery involved breaking both ankles and stretching the achilles tendon. My feet were really bad; turned down and in, so to speak. The doctor was very good about it and ready to act from the moment I was born. I started walking around 14 months, which isn't terribly late.

The only thing that stinks (maybe your daughter will have this when she gets to be a teenager) is that you have to be careful shaving your legs! LOL

o

i wish there was more about it that i new of when she was born,i didnt have a clue we got lucky with this one and that makes me very happy.they say she might have to have another surgery when she is like 7 but so far she is doing good hasnt stopped her a bit and the doctor is really surprised she looks so good.she did also use to lose her cast alot we lost one at the beach,lol.i know they told me with second dd that with the ultrasounds i had they could also tell if she had it.hope that helps.maybe your next one it will skip,it skipped my dh,dh sister and all dh dads family.good luck:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here