|I had a thought of making paper snowflakes into ornaments and I wanted to see what you folks could suggest to stiffen them without discoloring them, although I could coat them in glitter. Also, how could I get the fold lines out since we fold the paper to cut them. I thought maybe a steam iron might do it. Thanks!|
|Once paper is folded, it will never look like the original flat sheet again... when you fold paper, the fibers are broken and will never mend. Ironing will help, but you will still see vestiges of the creases. |
Quite frankly, I don't think anyone will mind seeing the creases... that is part of the beauty of a handmade star!
Spraying with acrylic will help stiffen the paper a bit. I think your idea of glitter would be nice. It may even stick to the wet acrylic spray... give it a try!
When I once worked in a public library we made dozens and dozens of cut-paper snowflakes and hung them from the ceiling, using fishing line. We did not coat them with anything, and we made them from cheap copy-machine paper. When we hung them vertically, they stayed fairly flat, and no one could see the creases because the snowflakes were so close to the ceiling.
|I think Carl Duval had some kind of a 3-D snowflake ornament that she made out of the foam trays that meat comes on or like those foam plates. If you google her show I think you'll find the instructions.|
Return to the Paper Arts Forum
- You must be a registered member and logged in to post messages on our forums.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review the contents and make changes.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- It is illegal to post copyrighted material without the owner's consent.
- HTML codes are allowed in the message field only.
- No advertising is allowed in any of the forums.
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.