Return to the Paper Arts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pear Book

Posted by lorraine303 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 22, 03 at 16:13

I made this little book from an artificial pear that I cut in half. Added hinge in the back and clasp in the front - foiled the outside and added silver trim and charms. It was a gift for a 25th anniversary and inside was a little booklet with pics, quotes about pairs, the lyrics to their wedding song. It made a great little remembrance.

Here is a link that might be useful: pear book

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pear Book

Lorraine - I love your pear book! It is very original and so creative! What material was the pear made of... was it some sort of solid? If not, how did you keep the pages from 'sinking' inside the pear shape?

That is a present I'm sure the lucky couple will treasure forever. How lucky for them that you are their dear friend!

o

Thank you Red Confetti - the inside is styrofoam. There was actually a small square of some sort of metal inside that I'm pretty sure was only used to weigh the pear down. After carefully cutting around it (I did use my DH's bandsaw for this one, but used a craft knife for another, it just takes a long time) I removed the metal piece and just used some glue to fill in the space, letting it dry completely. The inside of the halves I covered with some embossed silver foil, so the texture of the foil hides any texture that remained from the styrofoam. Before I glued the foil on however, the booklet was secured behind it.

I can't take credit for it being a totally original idea though, I saw a similar idea made into a recipe book with pear recipes inside somewhere. The pair/pear thing was what I was going for.

o

I love that! I remember seeing something similar in a magazine; it was an accordion book if I remember... I've always wanted to try it. Great idea with the "pair" theme, and I love the silver. I'll bet it's really treasured by the couple!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paper Arts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here