Return to the Paper Arts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie: good quality home made paper???

Posted by jacob_jones (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 23:38

Hi everyone!

All of the homemade paper I have seen appears to have more of that "construction paper" look to it...is it possible, through different methods, or perhaps adding different sizing, to get a "machine made" like finish to the home made paper? Not too thick, and evenly disbursed? Im sure there must be a way - and since I havent even bought a kit yet to do some experimenting, i thought I would ask and perhaps maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Im sure it also depends on the fibres and the material used in the pulp? Sorry if this is a newbie question..but appreciate all the input! Like I said ive read and watched many tutorials, however I am interested in making my own paper which can resemble standard store-purchased paper. Perhaps through different rolling methods this can be achieved? I dont know...but appreciate all input!

Thank you,
Jacob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie: good quality home made paper???

Traditionally, in addition to the sizing, the paper would be laid on a smooth marble slab and polished with a smooth piece of marble or soapstone on both sides. The modern process is called "calendering" and is done with polished steel rollers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calender at WikiPedia

o

thank you very much for your responcee. I will look into this. This may not make any sence, but do you think it would be possible to get a "supercalendered" finish, by making your own calender machine with polished steel rollers? I would imagine placing the wet sheet on a marble slab and rolling it a few times with a polished steel roller to brring the water quantity down? Just kinda thinking out loud here but what do you think? thanks again

o

As I understand it, polishing or calendering is done after the paper is dry. It's a combination of pressure and slippage that does the job, not just rolling.

I suspect using a steel roller on wet paper would just tear it up.

o

At about 8:56 in the linked video you'll see a couple of different finishing processes at a mill in England that was still making paper by hand at the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Papermaking by hand at Hayle Mill, England in 1976

o

And another one: look starting at 6:48 in the linked video for the Korean method used for Hanji paper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Making hanji: Korean papermaking by Shin Hyun Seh

o

thank you for the responces. The "Making hanji" video looks very interesting.

Now I have another question in the same field...I have been wanting to get my family crest watermarked into what I will be making. I like being creative and am hoping to give this as a gift to a family member I havent seen in many years. I have a friend that owns and operates a machine shop and I have researched watermarks, and I have no doubt he can make a male and female mold of my familys crest. My understanding is that it would be them pressed into the screen that the pulp will be sitting on??? If this is the case, im worried while squeezing the water out through rollers and what not that it will distort the image? What would you recomend for this? I know its getting a bit advanced but this has been something I have wanted to try for a while so all the input is much appreciated.

o

In everything I've seen and read, a watermark on handmade paper is made of shaped wire that is sewn onto a mould. This makes the paper just a little thinner wherever the wire rises above the mesh on the mold. Pressing softens it just a little. You can see a watermark being applied in the Hayle Mill video.

In machine-made paper, the watermark is applied by a "dandy roll" during the pressing stage of the process, just before the paper goes through the drying rollers, I believe. The dandy is also what marks the paper with laid lines and other textures to simulate handmade paper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paper Arts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here