Return to the Paper Arts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with getting started

Posted by Goldy (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 28, 04 at 14:56

Everyone seems so gifted and smart over here.Can someone direct me to a site where I can get started makeing cards?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with getting started

Goldy, there are thousands. Right here is a good start. Many share their how-to's.
I would suggest first get a small supply of card stock, maybe white or a cream color. Make sure it is card stock and not construction paper. You can start with one or two rubberstamps and a few stamp pads. A Gold and black. Try your skill at stamping on waste paper to get the feel of how to make a good imprint.
Look around the house and find colorful napkins, wrapping paper and even old cards received in the mail. Do some practice cutting and layering different things to a card to see how it looks. If you check the gallery here there are many samples of what I mean. Get a few colored pencils or markers and try coloring in the stamp after you stamp the impression. I'm sure others can help suggest things.

o

You will love making your own cards, Goldy! Minnie has about covered it about getting started and what materials to use.

Some folks use special software for making cards on their computers... it includes clipart, layouts, etc. Most of the programs cost just a few dollars up to about $15.00, I guess (I've never bought any). You can also use the computer to print the message inside the card, and then use your artistic materials to decorate the front! If you are familiar with Word or some other word-processing software, you can use that to print your message.

If you live near a Michaels, GardenRidge, or similar crafts store, you'll find the blank cards with matching envelopes as well as glues, markers, gold paint, stamping and embossing materials, packages of tissue paper in lots of colors, ribbons, paper punches, glitter, stickers,... well as you can probably see by now, just about anything that you can get to stick to paper will work!

You can also buy big packages of cardstock at WalMart and office suppy stores and make your own cards. It is cheaper to do it that way if you are going to make a lot of cards. But then you have to find a matching envelope, or make one the right size. That is why packages of matching cards and envelopes are nice to use, especially when you are getting started.

Look through your previous crafting supplies... you probably have yarn, fabric, buttons, wrapping paper, crayons, who knows what!! that you can use to embellish a card.

You can find clipart and other pictures online to use on your cards if you don't want to rely on your own artistic skills.

But look at the cards at the card stores... sometimes the cutest and most effective cards are very simple and have just a little image on front with maybe a ribbon or some other decorative doodad. Cards don't have to be complicated to be effective!

Stuck for a verse? There are some sites on line with suggestions, or just browse the cards when you visit WalMart, etc. and remember the verses you like! And be sure to look at the verses on the cards you have received.

The hardest part is making your first card. If you know a child who would enjoy receiving a card, start making fun cards for him/her! Kids certainly aren't critical and will love any card you send them. It won't be long before you'll be making cards for all occasions, especially all those friends' birthdays that keep popping up! They will be impressed that you make the card 'special' just for them!

Oh, and don't forget to check at your library for card-crafting books. I check out lots from my public library. And don't shy away from the books in the children's area... they are the greatest for explaining how to make cards!

And be sure to come back to this forum with your questions. We'll be happy to try to answer them for you.

o

You all have been a great help.If I get started now I should be a pro by the holidays.Thanks for the circle of friends I know where to go.You all are so crafty.Goldy

o

Red Confetti I got your email and was real glad to know I have help on this forum.Looking over this card making material I know I will need help in the future.Talk to you later.Goldy

o

One last tip... don't throw the mistakes away. If your stamped image on the card doesn't turn out well... you can paint over it... glue another card stock image on top of it (use hot glue dots to give it lift)... you can add tissue paper, ribbon, fabric, or any doo dad you have on hand... and recreate the card. If all else fails... cut it down and make a gift card, book mark, gift tag, etc. With those leftovers... use paper punches to make shapes for future use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paper Arts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here