Return to the Paper Arts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quilling anyone?

Posted by Heather_ON (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 8, 04 at 23:31

Just wondering if anyone here besides me does quilling.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quilling anyone?

Have often looked at quilling instructions and admired the great designs, but haven't tried it yet, Heather. Do you cut all those little narrow strips of paper yourself, or buy them already cut? Don't the designs get flatten in the mail??

Can you post pictures of some of your quilled cards?

(When I first read the title of your thread, I read it as quilTing! I've thought about sewing fabric onto cards... have you tried that?)

o

I just don't seem to have the patience for quilling but I love it. My sister did beautiful 3-D work and made me a manger scene and also Santa and Mrs and a Christmas tree and a reindeer. Some of my prized posessions.
Please share with us!!

o

I have done alot of quilling on cards. Its not as hard as it looks, or as time consuming.
There are lots of sites with ideas for designs.
I've gotten alot of supplies from ebay.
I have also done fabric on cards. Quilting designs make great card fronts.
Using fabric just makes for so many possibilities.
Something else that makes great cards is teabag folding.
Here is a great site with lots of ideas for cards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Card Ideas

o

I used to quill some--I made a few quilled refrigerator magnets that came out well. Just another craft I need to get back to doing! Thanks for the reminder--did you have any particularly good sources for your quilling supplies? I can find some around here at the craft stores but I suspect mail order would have a lot more choices.

o

I too used to quill, need to get back to it especially since I have lots of supplies on hand.
I made unique gift tags for all my Christmas presents one year & they were very well received.
It's very time consuming but I loved it

o

Yes, I used to quill. I was just looking at quilling paper last week at Walmart. Very expensive now. It wasn't hard to learn. I usually made pictures behind a shadow box. Still have some. RAA

o

RuthAnn, I bought a little shredder from ebay and cut most of my own paper 1/8 inch width. The shredder does a great job. You can buy a fair number of colours at office supply stores that are 24 lb. weight.

o

Heather I loved the Christmas card of yours this year that had the manger scene done with a stencil and medium. Can you post a photo of one of your quilled cards for us to see?

o

Minnie I mailed out all of my quilled Christmas cards and didn't take photos or scan them. They were all different too. I do have a scrapbook filled with quilling pages at mylocal scrapbooking store where I do my teaching. I'll bring it home and scan what I have done one of these days - something that I've wanted to do for awhile.

o

Thanks Heather, I look forward to seeing them.

o

You buy the paper pre-cut in any color you want. I used to do this extensively 25 years ago.

o

Yes you can buy the paper in any colour you want but it is hard to find it unless you live in a large city with craft stores. Buying it online gets expensive when you factor in the mailing and customs costs.

o

I have just gotten into quilling and i enjoy it alot, i work at a Print/Copy shop and therefore have good selection of paper and i can cut it myself to the size i want. There is a quilling group on Yahoo Groups, it is such a great place to learn how to do alot of things. The only place that i found that actually carries the tool is Hobby Lobby and they were out of it when i went so i got mine off Ebay, there are some great kits on there also ( i have nothing to do with the people selling them, just know they are there). Give it a try it's very fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yahoo Group quilling

o

thanks for this post Tina. I have seen some quilling kits in the craft store lately. I hope you can get someone interested in it. A quilled Christmas card is beautiful (hint, hint)

o

I found a quilling tool in my stash tonight (unopened)
the tag on it say I paid 2.95. If someone wants it you can pay the postage for it. First come first served etc.
No directions It says Paplin's #3191 Quilling tool slotted.

o

Just joined and ran across this thread. Been quilling out here in Nevada for a couple years now....love doing it. I do something a bit different.....go to the dollar store and buy picture frames...the ones made of plaster with white/gold/silver coloring. Most are rectangular but there are occasionally some in squares or ovals. I remove the glass and cover it with a lush fabric...damask, velvet, crushed velvet etc in rich tones that complement the color of the frame. I then do abstract designs in white paper that fits in the frame. I glue this to the fabric and then put it in the frame....the glass holds the fabric in place (if you don't use fabric glue to glue it to the glass). I use the cardboard square behind the glass and then the stand. The white quilling looks awesome on the fabric with its three-D effect. Selling these for anywhere from $7.50 to $15 for individual ones and up to $35 for a set of three in varying sizes at a local gift shop....going well for Christmas.

o

they sound beautiful. How about a photo of one or two. So glad you are able to sell them also. Lucky buyers!!

o

there is a neat quilled egg on this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Projects of the month

o

there are some Valentine quilling projects here. I haven't checked them out yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Valentine's Day Card Making Projects

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paper Arts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here