Return to the Paper Arts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Molded Paper Added to Greeting Card - Baa Baa Black Sheep

Posted by Red_Confetti (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 8, 04 at 21:29

I hope by giving step-by-step instructions I will be encouraging you folks to try similar projects. If you feel inspired, go for it! Your card will be unique... mine is just an example of the process. (This is another card for my mom who has Alzheimer's. Her memory is now limited to the very early years of her life, so I'm hoping she still remembers nursery rhymes.)

I had a pottery mold (Barnyard Friends by Pampered Chef). I'm sure it was meant for cookies, but I immediately saw PAPER forms!

I tore up a few tissues (kleenex type) and soaked them in plain water. The mold had already been sprayed with "cooking spray" so the paper wouldn't stick. I put one layer of tissue (dry) in the mold, then put in some of the soaked tissues. I squeezed most of the water out before I put them in the mold. I then mixed up a weak water/Elmer's glue solution, and using a paintbrush, punched the glue mix into the tissue wads, making sure they got into all the crevices of the mold. I kept adding tissue and glue/water mix until the mold was filled. I used a dry cloth to press the tissue to get most of the excess moisture out, then I put the mold in the oven with the pilot on to dry. (I think you can also put it in a microwave to dry, but I haven't tried that.)

I'm pretty sure you don't have to add the glue, but I wanted to be sure the tissue pieces stuck together!

When the paper was dry, I popped it out of the mold, then dry-brushed the sheep with black watercolor paint, and added a few green grass spears.

To make the card I found a wonderful site that has the complete 1916 version of "The Real Mother Goose" with the original Blanche Fisher Wright illustrations and copied the picture for Baa Baa Black Sheep.

I printed the picture inside a card, along with the nursery rhyme.

For the front of the card, found a nifty little shape in the symbols fonts (DF Calligraphic Ornaments LET), colored it, copied it in a second color, then made a row of them. I printed a row at the top and at the bottom of the front of the card. I just wanted something to 'gussie up' the front, thinking the sheep by itself would be pretty plain.

As a background for the molded sheep, I drew a rectangle on the back of a piece of green cardstock, then used a paintbrush to wet the lines. After the water had soaked in, I carefully tore the paper, using a ruler to keep the tears from going inside the lines too far. After the green torn piece was dry, I glued it to the front of the card, then glued the molded sheep to that. Here's the finished front...

On the back of the card I always put a little note that the card has been made special for... and this time I put a pair of the little leaf images from the front over the message. I also put the same little image under the return address on the envelope. That makes it all coordinated! Just about any card you make has something that can be used on the back of the card and again on the envelope.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Molded Paper Added to Greeting Card - Baa Baa Black Sheep

I love your cards!

o

Hi Red! Your cards are wonderful and I am sure your mother enjoys them. I think it is terrific that you have found something that she can enjoy! Best wishes to you.

cali/Rhonda

o

What a pretty card! You are very talented. I have a bunch of those paper molds from my sister that I didn't know what to do with other than display them. Now I have some ideas! Thanks for sharing ~ Lorraine

o

I'm so glad you're sharing with us. What a talent and an inspiration!!

o

I love using my cookie molds for paper molding...I have never used them for cookies LOL!!!

I use a slightly different paper recipe:

1 Sheet paper - can have a bit of printing on it, but not too much.

I tear the paper into strips then into pieces about 1" - 2". Then I place them in a blender and cover with hot tap water. Don't fill the blender just cover the paper - about a cup or so. I let the paper soak for a minute or two then blend for a minute. If you have large chunks of whole paper, blend some more. YOu want to end up with pulp. Strain the whole works through a wire strainer, but don't press out the water. Let it drip for a bit, then plop it onto a mold. Spread the paper to cover the mold as evenly as possible. You can have clean edges or let some paper hang over for a deckled look - like in RedConfetti's card. Take a clean towel and smash all the water out. Use your fingers to push the towel down to get the paper into all the crevices. The more water you get out, the faster it will dry.

I then microwave the paper in the mold. Try it for 1 minute, then if not dry, go in 30 second intervals, CLOSELY WATCHING IT!! You don't want it to catch on fire.

As it dries, it will pop out of the mold. I do "season" my molds with a light spray of Pam, then wipe it out so it isn't greasy.

I color my molded paper with chalks (You can find them in scrapbook sections of stores) I use a q-tip to apply the chalk. Or you can use a small paintbrush to apply the chalk too.

You can also use construction paper for a colored mold. I like to use brown kraft paper for an antiqued look.

Love your card RedConfetti...you are really talented.

If you love the molds, check out ebay...there are tons! Brown Bag Cookie Art has a big line, and the Pampered Chef ones are neat too...they have a line of 4 seasons ones out now.

Not paper related but: I also make wax molds in my cookie molds. I use 2 Yankee Candle tarts, melting them in a clean soup can that I have placed in a pan of shallow water (think double boiler) I bend the can slightly so I can pour out of it. After the tarts are melted, pour into a mold that has been coated well with Pam. Allow to cool, and it will pop out. If you want to hang it, make sure you put something in the back before it cools. I stick my molds in the fridge to cool them faster.

o

Another wonderful card! You are really talented and imaginative--I expect some day you'll start designing those wedding invitations that sell for $80 plus each!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paper Arts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here