Return to the Paper Arts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Candy Mold becomes Paper Cast Card (Including What NOT To Do)

Posted by Red_Confetti (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 21, 04 at 20:16

I was looking at some lollipop molds and saw a big sunshine... hmmm, that could go with the words to "You Are My Sunshine" on a greeting card.

So I made a paper cast mold (as I described in the Baa Baa Black Sheep thread). It came out fine, but was pasty white, and I wanted it to be sunny yellow. So I tried using some crayons on it. A little better, but definitely not what I had in mind.

Then I thought about the Wilton Candy Colors I had somewhere... little 1/4 oz. plastic jars of very concentrated colors (got them at WalMart in the cake decorating area of the craft supplies). But I tried just tearing up the tissue paper into shreds, adding some boiling water, then some of the color, some glue, and then stirring/mooshing with a fork. Tamped the pulp into the mold and let it dry. UGH!!! Very yellow, but very LUMPY!

So on the third try, I used my old method of first laying a whole-sheet layer of paper in the mold first for a nice smooth surface finish, then spread on some of the yellow color with a paint brush, then filled up the mold with little pieces of torn paper, wet with a water/coloring/Elmer's glue mixture. I dabbed in some orange color, too, to intensify the yellow. I let that dry and it was just what I wanted! Great yellow color and smooth surface.

You can see the three attempts in this picture...

Here is the finished card. The words to the song are inside.

I hope this inspires you to see different crafting possibilities in YOUR supplies. Now I'm gonna have to look through all those other candy/lollipop molds and see what else I can make. But this time I will be certain to lay in a whole flat piece of tissue first before I add the filler pulp!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Candy Mold becomes Paper Cast Card (Including What NOT To Do)

Oh gosh...you are so talented. You would love a chalk set to accent the molded paper.

Go check out the Cotton Press site for ideas (they have beautiful molds too!)

I forgot that I had made a cinnamon mold once using the cinnamon applesauce clay. Smells great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotton Press molds

o

Gosh, thanks, GardenGirl. A whole site with great ideas!! Wish I had known about it and had seen their instructions before I 'winged' it - LOL! I wasn't able to find the "Decorating Chalks" there, but I will keep them in mind.

I am really a cheapskate and try to use or improvise with supplies I have on hand, so I've never bought the real linter stuff... I just use plain tissues (kleenex things). I'd probably have better luck if I used the real stuff.

o

You can find the chalks in scrapbooks stores and in the craft department of Wal-Mart. I have even used my kids sidewalk chalk! I just used a q-tip to apply it.

If you have any of that outrageous '80s eyeshadow, that works well too, LOL. I use blush in a lot of my craft projects to make pink cheeks on things.

You can watercolor you paper casts too, just don't use too much water or it will turn to a sodden mess. You can use kids watercolors, or take a water based marker and "color" onto a plastic lid. Then dip your brush in water and run throught the marker residue - 'voila!

o

very inspiring,. I can't resist candy molds for some reason and have about 100. Time I got busy and took them out of the boxes!!!

o

:) you can also use artist's concentrated watercolors in the water to make the paper slurry... once you get comfortable with the term 'concentrated' it's a great way to add color to things...

I've also used the shavings from my watercolor crayons sprinkled over paper, which makes an interesting confetti pattern.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paper Arts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here