SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
red_confetti

Candy Mold becomes Paper Cast Card (Including What NOT To Do)

Red_Confetti
19 years ago

I was looking at some lollipop molds and saw a big sunshine... hmmm, that could go with the words to "You Are My Sunshine" on a greeting card.

So I made a paper cast mold (as I described in the Baa Baa Black Sheep thread). It came out fine, but was pasty white, and I wanted it to be sunny yellow. So I tried using some crayons on it. A little better, but definitely not what I had in mind.

Then I thought about the Wilton Candy Colors I had somewhere... little 1/4 oz. plastic jars of very concentrated colors (got them at WalMart in the cake decorating area of the craft supplies). But I tried just tearing up the tissue paper into shreds, adding some boiling water, then some of the color, some glue, and then stirring/mooshing with a fork. Tamped the pulp into the mold and let it dry. UGH!!! Very yellow, but very LUMPY!

So on the third try, I used my old method of first laying a whole-sheet layer of paper in the mold first for a nice smooth surface finish, then spread on some of the yellow color with a paint brush, then filled up the mold with little pieces of torn paper, wet with a water/coloring/Elmer's glue mixture. I dabbed in some orange color, too, to intensify the yellow. I let that dry and it was just what I wanted! Great yellow color and smooth surface.

You can see the three attempts in this picture...

Here is the finished card. The words to the song are inside.

I hope this inspires you to see different crafting possibilities in YOUR supplies. Now I'm gonna have to look through all those other candy/lollipop molds and see what else I can make. But this time I will be certain to lay in a whole flat piece of tissue first before I add the filler pulp!

Comments (5)

Sponsored