Return to the Paper Arts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Swing - Moving Parts Greeting Card

Posted by Red_Confetti (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 04 at 19:04

I made this card for my Mom. She has Alzheimer's Disease so I try to make cards for her that "do" something.

I found a picture of a little girl swinging, and printed the picture along with a mirror image (to be used inside the card) on cardstock. I found a suitable poem ("The Swing" by Robert Louis Stevenson) and printed it along with a 'background' image on a separate piece of cardstock.

I carefully cut out both images of the little girl on the swingseat, and cut out around the tree. I lightly traced where the tree would be on the front of the card, and then cut out just inside the tracing. I cut out the mirror image tree print also, making that one shorter to accomodate the printing inside the card.

I used crewel yarn for the swing ropes, and carefully glued the two girl images together, then glued the tree images to the front and inside of the card. I used a large needle to help hang the swing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Swing - Moving Parts Greeting Card

What a cute idea! I love it! And the poem is a perfect fit too.

o

I have never seen one like it. It is fantastic!! And lots of hugs for MOM too!!

o

I love it - and you even hooked her hands around the "rope" just like she would be holding it - Great job! Thanks for sharing!

o

Thanks, MaryAnn, Minnie, and Lorraine. Although Mom hasn't recognized any relatives in years, she is still able to read. I don't know how much she understands of what she reads, but at least she still can read. Alzheimer's is such a mysterious (and devastating) disease.

o

I love your card!

Have you tried making a card with a shaker box in it? If she likes moving things she would find that interesting too.

o

Another great card! I'm sure your mom will enjoy it and I think it could be a cute birthday card.

o

Red your card is just beautiful. You do amazing work. I love it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paper Arts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here