Return to the Paper Arts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making Greeting Cards

Posted by pink_warm_mama_1 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 18:36

Recently a gal came to our group to show us how to make greeting cards. With her she brought beautiful papers, pens, etc., and I was hooked. I have a granddaughter who is quite ill, and I write her frequently. I thought it would be nice to make her a card every time I write to try to cheer her up. Can you tell me where one finds the sheer papers that are so pretty for greeting cards? And, since I have made only one card, any suggestions from you gals who have made many cards would be gratefully accepted. Thank you for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making Greeting Cards

You are probably talking about vellum. I purchase vellum sheets from Walmart's craft area, and at JoAnn's or Michaels. You can purchase it in various thickness and even with patterns.

o

Thank you for your help. This seems to be a quiet forum which is disappointing.

o

You can also use tissue paper, various wrapping papers, and check your Dollar stores.

o
Greeting Cards

pink warm mama, have you seen the site splitcoaststampers? Their gallery is full of thousands of handmade stamps and there are hundreds of greeting card stampers and scrapbook crafters. There is also a huge forum. Here is a link to their forum. Try their home page for other links and tips.

Here is a link that might be useful: splitcoaststampers

o

I second SCS. The gallery is full of wonderful ideas. I usually buy my white cardstock from Office Depot (zerox brand). I get white envelopes in bulk on e-bay once every few years. I buy vellum and other cardstock from Michael's with coupons. Their white isn't thick or smooth enough. You can get rubber stamps anywhere Michaels, Jo-Ann's, stamping-up (home based business from a consultant). Embossing powders and heat tools are fun. There are a ton of cutting products on the market - punches and dies and fancy edged scissors. Cuttlebug makes wonderful embossing folders if you are into that type of texture. Ribbons. Clear and tinted paper glazes. Scoring tools to make perfect folds. Glitter & glitter glue (stickles). Coloring tools - chalks, shimmering chalks, colored pencils, metallic pencils, markers, watercolors, shimmering watercolors, etc. It depends how fancy you want to get and how much you want to spend. Contact a stampingup demo and purchase a catalog ($10) - there are lots of ideas in it and product info or buy a cardmaker or papercrafts magazine from Michaels to get ideas and info on products.

o

This site is very quiet. If you are really interested in card making - try www.circleofcrafters.com - very active and TONS of wonderful people and more information than you will know what to do with. It is my site - I'm just a very enthusiastic member. Register and find terrific hints and tips.

o

My DGM's sis makes beautiful cards using wall paper samples.

o

did you ever try the Method you embossing ,pretty ,easy you get a liquid you put rubber stamp in the liquid,pour the embossing medium over it,you catch excess to use again then heat with blow dryer whatever its fun.

o

Our Menards has wallpaper sample books on a clearance endcap. $5 I believe. I was so tempted, but didn't buy.

o

Here's a great place for free digital stamps: http://freedeariedollsdigistamps.blogspot.com
Some great free sentiments here:
http://createwithtlc-createwithtlc.blogspot.com/
Lots of freebies if you search. Digital stamps don't take up room like rubber stamps and you can resize them to what size you want.

o

You are making a card for your granddaughter, this is adorable! Usually it is the other way around. I would love to get handmade cards from my grandparents! I think the most interesting thing you can make is a pop up card, and there are a lot of tutorials all over youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsnaHa26OVE) That's pretty challenging for a beginner though so you can try something more basic like this one: http://www.askwiki.net/How-to-Make-a-Birthday-Card, I hope it will be helpful! Your granddaughter is very lucky to have you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paper Arts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here