SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lia_sc

make-your-own iridescent bkgd paper

Lia_SC
21 years ago

I happened across this technique at stampingforum.com and had fun playing with it the other night. It's very easy and you only need 3 things:

water,

dark matte cardstock,

and clear fingernail polish.

I used my bathroom sink and ran 3+ inches warm water.

They suggest placing cardstock in the water and holding it down then drop one drop of fingernail polish onto the surface of the water. (I was all fumble fingers doing that, so I did it in reverse, making sure I could see the surface of the water and slip the cardstock in from one side.)

The fingernail polish spreads into a rainbow pattern. (Very cool to watch!)

You lift the card up to the surface, catching the pattern on the cardstock. (It's an iridescent "film" --kind of like an oil slick.)

Air dry the cardstock and then press it under a heavy book to flatten. An iron, reportedly, will change the color of the pattern.

Then you can stamp, emboss, whatever...

The website (stampinforum.com) has good picture samples. Look under their "Technique of the Month" (TOM) for May.

This month's TOM is fun foam and they have pix of their amazing results! I never got such good results when I tried so I may have to give it another shot. Maybe have something to mount on my iridescent paper! :-)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County