Return to the Paper Arts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
speaking of punches

Posted by Minnie_TX (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 7, 03 at 16:30

When I was making my Christmas cards I couldn't find one of my hand punches for the holes for ribbon so I glued them down. Later I found that Michaels has a whole new assortment of punches for 1.99. They are plastic and have a variety of shapes including butterflies, holes of different types and other things like hearts.
they punch just as good as the more expensive ones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: speaking of punches

What I would like to have is a "double" hole punch that does both holes at the same time, so they are always properly spaced for threading the ribbon thru. Never saw such a thing though....have you?

o

Artsy,
I always mark where my punches are to be with a pencil first. The punches are usually right on, but even if they're off a little, the ribbon hides slightly uneven holes. But I haven't seen a double whole punch.

o

I think a double punch would be wonderful and no I haven't seen one nor even heard of one until now. I have one of the little oblong ones.
Speaking of double punches I just remembered something I saw on an old Aleenes show. When making eyes on wooden dolls punch them onto a piece of paper first then use the paper as a stencil. That way you get the right spacing everytime.

o

Minnie, I'll have to check my Michael's out...one of the reasons I don't have many punches is because of the price of them! I have been looking for a "hand" punch for a long time (saw a Christmas card done on Carol Duvall's show making a wreath with them)....I did buy one of the die cuts....then found out the "machine" to use it was $80!! Yikes...LOL! Hope my Michael's has the new line...and they have a hand punch!!
Thanx!
Tiger

o

Well, then maybe I should "invent" a double punch, lol! Think of all those people doing 200 wedding invitations and haiving to mark a template or punch twice. It would cut the work in half at least!

o

Artsy, I would love for you to invent it. I don't know how people do it. My mom had an idea for a shoe a long time ago maybe30 years ago. It was a shoe (open heel) that you'd merely slide different straps in to change the color and look of it. My sister did all the drawing work etc to present to the patent office (whatever was required at that time) and It cost a lot of money. Then they waited and waited for an answer and then found out there were already 5 or 6 Patents pending on basically the same idea. Just a little OT.

o

I have been obsessed with the double punch idea lately. The one thing I struggle with is aligning things---whether it's getting a truly straight line, or matching up holes.

But I think I have found a solution; inspiration hit while looking for fedex labels in my office's copy room. There are 2 hole punches used to make holes in documents for file folderss that have clasps in top. I think those would work well for invitations.

For other hole positioning, I think the adjustable 3 hole punches would work; then the spacing could just be set up however you like. I plan to go to office depot this weekend to buy one.

Here is a link that might be useful: two hole punch

o

robin- I was thinking the same thing you were,lol! We have one of these punches in our office, but the holes don't go closer together. We have several different 3 hole punches but not the right models to adjust the holes to about 1/2" apart. We crafters could use a reasonably priced hand-held model in a variety of hole shapes. I would like to see more of a rectangular hole than a round one as it is sometimes hard to get the ribbon in thru a smaller round hole.

o

I think the double hole punch idea is great - maybe rectangular slits that would be good for threading ribbon. Speaking of punches, did you see the flowers that Carol Duvall made with the heart punches? They looked cool. She used something called YES glue - I haven't seen that around yet. Gonna keep my eye out for a punch and the glue and maybe make a valentines bouquet.

o

Artsy you have a rectangular punch don't you?

o

yes, it's one of my favorites- a narrow rectangle, about 1/16" by 1/4" of an inch. I use it all the time!

o

Maybe you should send your 2-hole/2-slit idea to some of the punch people. Maybe you could get a kick-back somehow? (Free punches for a year? *grin*)

How do you use a narrow rectangle punch?

lorraine, my local rubber stamp store has the Yes! glue. It comes in a big "tub", like margarine, I think. I haven't tried it either; I've heard mixed reviews of it for paper crafts, especially collage. But it appears to have exactly the right consistency for those punchie flowers.

o

"Maybe you should send your 2-hole/2-slit idea to some of the punch people. Maybe you could get a kick-back somehow? (Free punches for a year? *grin*)"
that would be great. But if you do send a copy to yourrself in the mail and don't open the letter. I think that's called a poorman's copyright. My mom sent an idea in to "Barbie" about making one with different wigs. That was a few years after they came out. She got a letter saying something to the effect that it wasn't feasible at that time.

Of course years later they did.

o

Sorry to burst the bubble, but I have a two hole punch. It's made by Wilson-Jones. I purchased it from a office supply store a long time ago. I guess they are still being made....haven't checked.

o

Peggy. Can you measure and tell us how far apart the holes re? Are they about 1/2 inch? or are they about 3-4 inches apart?

o

It's probably like the one we have in our office, which does not get the holes close enough together.... they are 2 3/4 inches on center.

o

Sorry for the delay...I had to go dig them out of boxes. LOL

You're right Artsy Craftsy...I was thinking that the two hole punch was adjustable like my three hole punch, but it's not. The three hole punch can be used for two holes though and it will adjust down to 1" between holes....even more if I knew how to get the marker out of the middle. LOL

These are old punches left from my office when I retired and I rarely use them. For my cards, I use the hole punchers my husband uses for leather on his saddles.

o

can't you have custom punches made? the way you can have custom stamps?

(for that matter, you could have a custom stamp made w/ tiny dots for each hole, and then you wouldn't have t omeasure the spacing even if you did have to punch twice!)

And I'd think it would be neat to have a slightly smaller hole, wouldn't you? And maybe an adjustable distance, and a long arm you so can reach in?

o

I wonder if you couldn't pound 2 nails in a board and then press card stock on it to form little holes where you want them? Rough but it might do.

I made a dryer rack for painted articles out of golf tees. I glued about 50 to a board with the points all pointing up. Then I was able to dry small painted things by setting them on the points.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paper Arts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here