Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
remove wallpaper?

Posted by home4all6 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 2, 10 at 23:17

Hi everyone! I have *the* age-old wallpaper question--remove or paint over? WE want it removed, but our painter wants to 'mud' the seams, then prime and paint over it. It is old paper, and it is in our center-entry hallway, going all the way up the stairs and the entire upstairs hallway too. It is in very good condition, not peeling anywhere. It is over plaster walls (also over another layer of even older wallpaper and dark green paint, too--yay)
They want to charge $950 to do the mud, prime and paint thing.
To remove it and paint--$2500!
So, what do I do? Right now, we're doing nothing. I'll be living with the lovely paper for the time being. I'll try to attach a picture for your viewing pleasure :)
(Oh, btw, I am a do-it-yourselfer sometimes, but with my 6, 4 ,and 1 year old twins, I haven't got a lot of time for building scaffolding and stripping paper...but we have removed all the carpet and are refinishing the floors...)
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: home4all6 album

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: remove wallpaper?

I realize you said you don't have a lot of time for wallpaper removal, but that's what I would do. Contrary to those who report it being such a nightmare, I find it merely time consuming but not difficult. I haven't used scaffolding--I've just moved a chair or step-stool around.

I would not pay someone $1550 to do it. I don't know if that is a time-and-materials cost or a we-don't-want-to-do-it-so-we'll-discourage-you-with-a-high-price cost.

o

You might try to find out if the walls were properly prepared ("sized") before they were papered. If not, it will be almost impossible to strip the paper off without damaging the walls. Second, you might want to paint over the wallpaper in a small inconspicuous location to find out whether the paint will adhere properly and cover the wallpaper design. After you have answered these questions, you will be in a better position to make an informed decision on how to proceed.

o

Remove it, period... If it is plaster walls it should come off pretty easy. here is a link for the steps.

Here is a link that might be useful: removal

o

I agree....stripping wallpaper from plaster is a whole different animal than if it were on drywall. Plaster is like rock, really hard to damage. The entire reason everyone thinks that removing wallpaper is such a nightmare is because we started hanging it on top of drywall as if it were plaster. Don't forget that even though the wallpaper may seem stuck to you and your professional painter, adding the weight of mud and paint may help it come loose and/or bubble everywhere over time. Painting over wallpaper should really only be done as a last resort.

o

Painting over wallpaper should really only be done as a last resort.

Exactly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here