Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Wood deck restoral - Behr Deck Over

jerry_nj
9 years ago

I mention Behr, but there are also similar products by Olympic (Lowes) and others that claim to be better than top quality solid color stain deck/floor paint (latex in all cases I refer to).

I have a 25 year old deck in Northern NJ that has cedar decking and railing. It has seen perhaps 6 years of protection by the not very good clear finishes, then for the last 19 years with Behr deck and siding solid color stain. I have in the last three years replaced a couple of railing posts with untreated fur and some 5/4 floor decking with modern pressure treated decking. Many of the other boards are weathered and suffer from staples that have rusted and left indents and rotting wood, but smalll enough in size that I have tried a number of fillers and over coated with Behr solid color stain. This has not held up well and I just recently noticed the Behr Deck Over at about $35 a gallon which appears to be a much stronger and thicker coating.

Looking for any experience/advice on the value of this type coating to restore and to cover filler. The floor/deck is, of course not painted underneath, so water that gets on and drains down and under the wood makes the decking (cedar in my case) wet which translates to a bubble in the top coat on the top side of the deck. Don't see how Deck Over can prevent this unless it can be used to seal the top, then fill the gaps and then overcoat. That way the filler will be surrounded by Deck Over paint