Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I know if which red will or will not fade?

Posted by brendainnj (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 14, 10 at 19:51

I am planning to paint a fiberglass Therma True door a cranberry red to match a "wineberry" Anderson screen door color. I think I've heard something on here about certain reds fading, others not as much so. What do I look for when choosing the color? I'm planning to use Duration in a semi. The door is on a covered porch, but it does get morning sun.

Thanks for any help; Faron, I especially appreciate your input--you do a nice job of putting technical stuff in everyday terms!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I know if which red will or will not fade?

The cleaner looking the red, the more likely it uses an organic red or magenta colorant which are more prone to fade compared to the inorganic colorants. But if it's the color you want, then use it and know that in several years you may need to recoat it to maintain that deep cranberry color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here